Fox calls

dogsnuts

Howsabout one of the cheapest available calls,a wee piece of polystyrene dragged down the lightly moistened windscreen or mirror.Remember to try different types of poly and use edges and flat surfaces to alter tones as well as the speed of drag.Attleborough accessories and Deben now do a squirrel call,keep reading it`s not a wind up,which when used the way the nice american man,on the tape which comes with it,demonstrates can be devastating on toddies that have seen and heard it all[a variable beam on the lamp helps too]You only need one hand or your mouth to use it and it can imitate what sounds like a cartoon character or a good mouse squeek.

For what its worth,I use a thin strip of a balloon(cut across the centre) and stretched inbetween a small stick which has been split down the centre. The middle is then sanded away to create a small gap. Tape up both ends of the stick and then blow through the gap.You have now got a brilliant call that can be heard from a long way off. After a while the rubber has to be replaced because it perishes. However it's simple, cheap and is as good as any proprietary fox call. Experimentation can provide a number of calls with different pitches.

P

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

How close will the foxes come in.I rang the guy at the shop and he said they were very loud!i was just wondering if the foxes got spooked by how loud it was once getting close enough to shoot with a shotgun[50M].Do they?

I was thinking of getting one because the old hand and mouth trick tends to hurt your lips after a while!

cheers