.22 RF v Airgun

When hunting with a R/F .22 we insist (in the majority of cases) on using hollowpoints. But air rifle users use round nosed, pointed, and flat headed and all claim they have advantages. So why don't we have different versions (for hunting) in R/F ammo all subsonic when a lot of people think hollows often don't expand anywhere.

Edited by markm

I used to use "Semi wadcutters" (hollow points) in my old HW77k, and they worked very well. To be honest though, any pellet that hits the mark is going to do a job.

.22 rimfire goes through most of the time, but creates sufficient shock to kill the animal.

.17hmr on the other hand totally destroys rabbits, particularly with ballistic tips.

Extra range is nice too.

I think hollow points are more likely to deform enough to reduce the power of ricochets. Any loss of shape will greatly reduce the range a bullet will fly after hitting something hard.

With an air rifle you really need to make use of the little power you have, and keep as much accuracy as possible. Hollow and flat pellets slow down quickly at range because of their poor aerodynamics and points are rarely as accurate as a flat head or dome. A dome is a good compromise :good: