Advice & Guidance on rifles

WGD

I have permission to shoot rabbits, fox and deer on a friends land; he currently shoots his own land and I have been out with him but he is struggling to find the time with work etc so he is happy for me to go out regularly and we can shoot the land between us.

To date my shooting experience has been with a shotgun extensively (clays and game) and in a limited capacity with my friend shooting his .22, .243 or .270 depending on the quarry. Being new to this aspect of shooting I am keen to gain as much information as I can before applying for my FAC.

I don't wanting to ask a "which gun/scope/calibre" question as the answers are so wide and varied and each has their own opinion. However, I am looking for some good books, magazines, websites etc which can help boost my knowledge, particularly with regards to calibres, makes/models of rifles and scopes and practical things like zeroing (how this is done), cleaning, ammunition etc.

If anyone feels compelled to give guidance with regards to any of these elements on this thread I would be very grateful, but I am happy to do plenty of reading in the first instance so any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks

WGD

WGD,

My first suggestion is to buy the following two books:

'The Sporting Rifle - A User's Handbook (4th Edition)' by Robin Marshall-Ball. Costs about £20. I've been shooting for many years, and got given this book recently. It's great. Lot's of clear, useful advice about rifles, quarry and technique.

'Sporting Rifle Shooter', written and published by the guys behind Sporting Rifle magazine. Costs about £13. It's a fairly broad-ranging book, with some useful info for a beginner (such as zeroing and basic ballistics). It is more of a glorified magazine, but it may fill some holes in your knowledge gaps.

Just my tuppence-worth. Obviously learning the theory is only useful if you have the opportunity to get out and practice. You'll need to show your FEO that you have as much practical experience as possible when you apply for your FAC, obviously.

Edited by Baldrick

YOU SAID :-

"To date my shooting experience has been with a shotgun extensively (clays and game) and in a limited capacity with my friend shooting his .22, .243 or .270 depending on the quarry. Being new to this aspect of shooting I am keen to gain as much information as I can before applying for my FAC."

Correct me if i am wrong which if i am, i am sure some one will but my understanding of the law is that you should NOT have been using any of the above rifles on your mates land if like you kind of say you have not got a F A C - This is against the law.

Tulkyuk, Frank, Bigdog, Tikkamark, JohnGalway to name but a few, read their posts and ask them questions that's they way I have gained knowledge of rifles. Better than any book but thats just my opinion :rolleyes:

YOU SAID :-

"To date my shooting experience has been with a shotgun extensively (clays and game) and in a limited capacity with my friend shooting his .22, .243 or .270 depending on the quarry. Being new to this aspect of shooting I am keen to gain as much information as I can before applying for my FAC."

Correct me if i am wrong which if i am, i am sure some one will but my understanding of the law is that you should NOT have been using any of the above rifles on your mates land if like you kind of say you have not got a F A C - This is against the law.

Section 16(1) of the 1988 Act enables a

person to borrow a rifle from the occupier

of private premises and to use it on those

premises in the presence of either the

occupier or their servant without holding a

firearm certificate in respect of that rifle...

...The term “in the presence of” is not defined in law

but is generally interpreted as being within sight and earshot.

Edited by silver_fox

:oops: ANY CLUBS YOU COULD JOIN UP THERE BETTER THAN BOOKS AND MAGS AS YOU GET

HANDS ON AND YEARS OF FREE ADVICE, AND PROBABLY WORK OUT CHEAPER THAN BUYING

BOOKS ETC AND GIVES A REASON FOR FIREARMS OWNERSHIP AS WELL AS YOUR LAND. :rolleyes:

Under section 1 & 2 of the 1968 act, it is an offence for a person " to have in their possession or to purchase or aquire" a firearms or ammunition to which a section 1applies.

Is this not the case then ?

No its not as said above you can under the section as stated above.

THX for that sorry for hi-jacking your link.

Thanks to all those who replied, and to Baldrick for the book references. I know clubs and experience beat reading hands down but I like to have something to read on a subject before putting the theory into practice so to speak.

DR JAMES - thanks for you input, I am aware of the finer points of the law and the potential for the debate over whether or not a non-licence holder can use a firearm without possessing a licence (be it SGC or FAC). That is precisely why I worded the thread in the way I did, stating that I have EXPERIENCE of this type of shooting with my FRIEND shooting HIS rifle. Not that I had physically had a shot. Whether I would or not would, of course, be checked with my FEO prior to handling a firearm :rolleyes:

Still, the responses were useful :oops:

WGD

WGD....

This is a bit of a chicken and egg thread... Its kinda tricky to recommend what to read or advise without knowing what you intend to do with said FAC and rifles....

Do you know what it is you wish to do? if so then the rifle choices should become far more obvious, and you can inprove your depth of knowledge accordingly.....

Put simply, if you want to plink then really the world is your oyster regading guns. Join a rifle club and get a fat ticket an play away.

if you intend to shoot live quarry, then the land you can get access to and type of quarry will very quickly narrow down your choices....

Does that make sense?