First Shotgun new or secondhand?

Cosd

A friend has just got his SGC.

Just wondering what your thoughts are on whether he goes for new or secondhand with a budget of £400 - £500

The gun will be used between once a week and once every two weeks, mainly for pigeon/game.

I have seen a brand new Baikal for about £450, 28.5" barrells, O/U, selectable trigger and multi choke.

Would you rather get a better gun/make secondhand or something brand new considering the amount of shooting he will be doing?

I would go for a second hand

he can pick up a silma supreme for about £250

a nicer gun than baikal,

the are made in italy and similar to berettas.

they like berettas seem to fit most people.

avoid so called cheap autos.

if he wants an auto beretta 300 series are super guns and hold a price.

whatever he buys check it for fit first.

most gunshops will loan you a gun to try for 72 hrs.

A friend has just got his SGC.

Just wondering what your thoughts are on whether he goes for new or secondhand with a budget of £400 - £500

The gun will be used between once a week and once every two weeks, mainly for pigeon/game.

I have seen a brand new Baikal for about £450, 28.5" barrells, O/U, selectable trigger and multi choke.

Would you rather get a better gun/make secondhand or something brand new considering the amount of shooting he will be doing?

:good:Nothing wrong with the baikals theyve been around for years good inexpensive gun

to start off with.Bought a one new in 1985 and just recently sold it to a youngster for £20 quid

never had a problem with it and shot thousands of cartridges couldnt count how many,and he

shot 43x60 at clays 3rd time out with it, and a double trigger fixed choke one. :mad:

Ive had more guns than the gun dealers :look: In my opinion i always like to have the best gear but starting to realise they all do the same job. I had a mint beretta 687 sp but was paranoid about it getting marked whilst in a hide etc where as now my baikal although mint doesnt bother me. If i had plenty of money i would use purdys for rough shooting and have 14 of them to use each day but life doesnt span out like that (for me anyway). My beretta felt nicer to shoot but if you aim in the same place you will get your target, hope this helps him decide! :look:

I would definitely go second hand for a first gun. There's a strong possibility that he may completely change his mind about which type of shotgun he prefers (semi-auto, O/U, S/S etc) after he's been shooting for a few months. Shotguns seem to drop in value only so far, so if he does change his mind with a second hand gun, he won't lose much money, may not lose any at all :look:

Hi guys, just wanted to say thanks for the advice. I think the majority advice was for second hand. I've done the deal with Paul from this forum, my friend has just left to go and collect the Bettinsoli he was selling here.

Looks like a cracking gun my mate's bought, 30" barrels, excellent condition, selective trigger, 18 months old. Paul was a gent to deal with as well.

Looking forward to seeing it myself.