Fox heaven

Got a lad in the syndicate who is out all the time and shoots loads, got a call from another lad who is running a line of traps to say that we now have a vixen with 3 cubs playing outside a badger sett this morning, he had a 410 on him and sneaked up and got 2 of them but the vixen ran down the hole before he could get a shot off.

Do you think the mother will move the last one today? Seem to be about 3 weeks old looking at the photo.

He then calls about an hour later to say he has put one out of the wood at the other end of the shoot.

Going to be a busy night me thinks!!!!!

Got a lad in the syndicate who is out all the time and shoots loads, got a call from another lad who is running a line of traps to say that we now have a vixen with 3 cubs playing outside a badger sett this morning, he had a 410 on him and sneaked up and got 2 of them but the vixen ran down the hole before he could get a shot off.

Do you think the mother will move the last one today? Seem to be about 3 weeks old looking at the photo.

He then calls about an hour later to say he has put one out of the wood at the other end of the shoot.

Going to be a busy night me thinks!!!!!

Yep, she will have moved them as soon as it was quiet, a vixen will take no disturbance at all whilst she has young cubs. I have known vixens move cubs for a lot less than shooting some of them! Your mate should have gone away without distubing them, laid up near the hole the following day with a rifle or 12 and shot the vixen first, the cubs would then have been easy. Now you have to find where she has taken them, best of luck!

Edited by bob300w

she may well move them but you can't get at them down the hole near badger sets so he may well have done the right thing. They will re-locate may be off your ground but may be somewhere that you can use terriers. Whichever way its 2 less cubs to deal with

Forgot to add, went out last night to try and pick em up with .243's making sure holes either side of the fence were covered before they moved, just on dusk the vixen came out and ran away (actually wide of us about 200 yards) and ran behind so we could not get a shot off, the cubs did not show themselves. The other lad I was with went out tonight about 2 hours ago, again the vixen ran from the hole about 10pm) but this time the cubs came above ground about 5 mins behind her. She is away from the hole now, she thinks the cubs are still home and I am sure she will be back soon. Thats 4 cubs off and hopefully her soon. The dog that was feeding her was shot 3 weeks ago so she needs to come and go for food.

post-3360-1210284332.jpg

Edited by markm

The guy in the Syndicate was out on Friday night watching for what we thought was only the vixen, then out of the hole comes cub number 5.

post-3360-1210527760.jpg

Then just as he was about to go and get the cub, out comes mum.

post-3360-1210527856.jpg

Thats 5 cubs and the vixen in a week, well pleased.

Edited by markm