Ameristep Doghouse on Ebay

Tyke

Cranfield/Deako or whoever in fact,

While we are talking about ordering gear from the States, I have been thinking about ordering some shirts from L L Beans. I want this sort of shirt because I know they fit me, which makes a change.

The shirts are $35 each. I will be ordering three. Exactly what else would I be paying for if I ordered them i.e taxes etc ?. Anyone got an estimate of the total by the time it gets to me would be ?

Will deffo get clobbered by customs for Cabela's stuff.

Sorry to disagree but I have ordered five lots from cabelas in the last two years. Order value up to £200. Never paid vat or import duty yet!

One word of warning watch the clothing sizes I orded a pair of xl overtrousers. being 6'3" and 16 stone I expected them to fit. However the ones that turned up would have been too bit for pavarotti.

BB

Berettaboy,

Thats why I want these shirts. My mate brought me one back and it is the tall version. I am 6'4" and weigh 15 stone. It fits beautifully. Long back and sleeves, but not as you say, designed for Pavorotti !!

Remy, thanks.

Why is there this disparity about paying VAT or import duty, anyone ??

Any tricks out there to avoid paying them :lol::lol:

Berettaboy,

Why is there this disparity about paying VAT or import duty, anyone ??

Any tricks out there to avoid paying them  :lol:  :lol:

Having Bought a few items from the US I would say that primarily it's the Value on the US customs Docket that attracts the interest of the UK C&E, Ive found that most (but not all) items with a value of $200 gets hit, but smaller items tend to get through no bother..

Also, it's the regularity with which you bring stuff in, I found that at 1st hardly any got duty applied, but the more I bought, the less got through the net

I suspect in many cases it's the luck of the draw

Rgds

Graham :

This subject has been debated on every Forum on this site.

I have ordered from US catalogues and always had to pay Duty, VAT and currently, a special Customs Surcharge from the US.

Some people post that they have never paid this.

The Seller is obliged to put a Customs Declaration on the outside of the package.

This shows the value of the contents.

Getting a friend in the US to buy and post for you, which also means they have to stick a Customs Declaration on the parcel and lie about its value (see limits below), makes both them and you, liable for prosecution.

A gift to the maximum value of £36.00 is Duty Free.

A purchase to the maximum value of £18.00 is Duty Free.

The OFFICIAL Duties to be paid are;

VAT at 17.5%

Customs Duty per item, variable but see below.

Some Imports from the US currently have a Customs Surcharge, due to a Trade Dispute, currently at 12%.

To get a Customs Duty Code for your item telephone 01702366077.

Then ring 0845 0109000 to get the current Duty and Surcharge rate.

Here are some current examples.

Cotton Shirt.

Price + 17.5%VAT+12%Duty, no Surcharge.

Tent (nearest they had to a hide).

Price+17.5%VAT+12%Duty+12%Surcharge.

Fishing Rod.

Price+17.5%VAT+3.7%Duty, no Surcharge.

Fishing Reel.

Price+17.5%VAT+3.7%Duty+12%Surcharge

Cranfield,

Actually the "good deal" side of this doesn't come into it all that much. This shirt that my mate bought me is the best fitting shirt I have ever had. It's just so nice to get a shirt that fits......I've never been able to find any like it over here. Either the sleeves are too short and the chest fits, or the sleeves fit and the chest is too big.

I'm still working on this idea. :lol:

cranfield, you will not pay vat or tax when ordering from cabelas if you via normal post but if you want it on quick delivery it will cost you an extra $15 that end and will be delivered by ups and they will charge you when they bring it.

But every time i have ordered something on normal delivery i was told it would take between 5/7 weeks, but i have never waited that long. So go for it, order away i think you will be surprised. :lol:

rifleman 56, the information I posted has nothing to do with postage/delivery costs.

It is the facts that I got from HM Customs & Excise regarding the Duty and VAT liable to be paid on purchases from the USA.

Like you, I have brought loads of things back in my suitcases (we normally go over twice a year, for 6 weeks each trip) and never declared them at the Airport, with no problems.

The problems start, when stuff comes by post with a Customs Declaration on the packaging. :/

Sniper, if its hard to get clothing in a "difficult" size, it may well still be worth the money. :lol:

Orvis do outdoor clothing similar to Cabelas and they have a UK site, it may be worth checking it out. :lol: