Spring drillings in May

the hitman

I had a recce about today and came across 4 fields on one of my permissions with fresh sown spring wheat. I think they have been drilled in the last 7 days , and still plenty seed on top. There were a few pigeons about , so i'll leave it till next week ( cause i'm holiday then ) and see if its worth a crack.

I am also watching a pea field that is pulling a few , but most the birds in my area are still on green patches of OSR.

So has anybody else seen wheat drilled in May . :good:

it dose not mater if they have been shot or not mate it only takes about 4 days for a small flock of pigeon to feed this field off

I would never go to a field and hope the pigeons just turn up . In my recce i'm looking for birds in the air as well as on the ground , and if i see 20 on the field and nothing else showing any interest , then i will leave it a day then check again . If the pigeons then start hitting it , i'll have a go.

I have been shooting to long to rush in as soon as the drill machine has left the field , and for all i know someone else may have shot 200 there before i found the field.

it dose not mater if they have been shot or not mate it only takes about 4 days for a small flock of pigeon to feed this field off

How can you say that??............ Do you know how big the field is, how much wheat is spilt or how many Pigeons are feeding on it?

from personal experience on my permishon there is a 180 acre field that was drilled last month and a small flock of pigeon (about 30) fed it off in 3 days.