Kids and clays

Technical question that i'm sure has been done to death a thousand times, so i apologies in advance!!

I have 2 daughters aged 7 and 9 who have used air rifles in the back garden (under supervision and at proper targets!!) but who now want to come out with me when i shoot clays.

They had a go at the Kent Game Fair on the BASC stand and seemed to do very well with a 20 bore, albeit that most of the gun was actually controlled by the very patient BASC instructor.

What i need to know is this - if i buy a .410 or 28 bore and stick it on my SG licence, are the girls able to use the gun, under my supervision, at clay grounds where they (The clay ground) have a dispensation for those without a licence to shoot??

Again, apologies if i'm going over old ground, but if this has been answered before, could you please post the link to the thread.

Many thanks, :blink: :blink: :D

Matt

Technical question that i'm sure has been done to death a thousand times, so i apologies in advance!!

I have 2 daughters aged 7 and 9 who have used air rifles in the back garden (under supervision and at proper targets!!) but who now want to come out with me when i shoot clays.

They had a go at the Kent Game Fair on the BASC stand and seemed to do very well with a 20 bore, albeit that most of the gun was actually controlled by the very patient BASC instructor.

What i need to know is this - if i buy a .410 or 28 bore and stick it on my SG licence, are the girls able to use the gun, under my supervision, at clay grounds where they (The clay ground) have a dispensation for those without a licence to shoot??

Again, apologies if i'm going over old ground, but if this has been answered before, could you please post the link to the thread.

Many thanks, :blink: :blink: :D

Matt

yes mate they can shoot under supervision of a SGC holder. you can even get them their own licenses as there is no minimum age as far as i know

Many thanks for that Taff - Will hold off on the licence until I'm sure it's more than a 5 minute wonder!!! :blink:

Anyone got a cheap (<£200) .410 o/u for sale in the South Essex or surrounding areas please - I'm about 8 miles from the Dartford Crossing,so I'll be demanding a £2 discount for the bridge toll!! :blink:

• 2 weeks later...

There is a widely held belief that an SGC holder can accompany a non cert holder, and the non holder is legal. This is actually not the case unless the terms of one of the exemptions are complied with.

Section 11(5) exception allows the owner of land lend their gun to a non holder who uses it in their presence. So in a shooting party with a number of guns and novices, only the person with the ground rights can legally provide their gun, and only under their supervision. If another group was shooting another wood, and a syndicate member provided their gun to the novice, that is not legal under 11(5).

Section 11(6) allows a non holder to use a gun under supervision at a time and place recorded on an exemption certificate. This has a named person, who takes responsibility - so if a group goes to an 11(6) shooting ground and lends guns and supervises novices without the consent and authority of the person named on the 11(6), they are in breach of the exemption. For you to supervise others at an 11(6) ground you must have had the supervision delegated to you by the holder of the 11(6). They decide if you are safe to do so, and if not you need their coach or person they squad with you.

Clayman

Cheers chaps - What i'd be doing would be doing my usual round of sporting (doing my bit for clay preservation) and then ask whoever's taking the entry money if the kids can have a go at five or ten clays on one of the easy (or less busy) stands just to give them a little interest

Many thanks, :hmm::lol::lol:

Matt

yes mate they can shoot under supervision of a SGC holder. you can even get them their own licenses as there is no minimum age as far as i know

the minimum age is 2 yeas old mate beacous thats how long you have to know the counter sig for haha :P mad i know

Be carefull.

at our local caly ground i saw someone using a .410 and only when she hit the underneath of the clay could he break it.

what i was always told get the heviest gun you can old and put the lightest loads through it .

12 bore = 20g

good luck

.410s can be a bit limiting, because of the amount of lead available - usually 12g, and also as most are set up for vermin control with fairly tight set chokes.

A typical 410 will put out 12g of no 6 pellets ( hard to find stocks of clay loads), in a pattern about 18" across at a 20yd target.

Buy a M/C 28guage, use 1/4 and cy at 20yd targets for a full 24-30" pattern, and you can readily get both clay loads ( no 8s) and more load, ie 16g or 21g - even 28g - so there will be a bigger pattern, and more pellets in it.

The success rate for the kids will be much better, and result in more confidence.

A 28g is very little heavier than a 410, usually built on the same action in an U/O like a Lincoln, and will probably last the kids shooting development right through till they are ready for a 20 or 12g.

The biggest consideration with any child is always their ability to hold a gun safely, and until pubety many kids cannot support the barrels of a heavier 20g or 12g, even with shortended stock and short barrels.

A 28" barrel 28 guage with a short pull, 12-13" should allow the kids to support and control the gun.

Clayman