Help me... please !!

Hi all..

I got my Shotgun license last week with the intent to go shooting clays with a female friend of mine, I also want to learn how to hit Pigeons, Crows etc..

Now I live on a Dairy Farm so have lots of land that I can shoot on, on Sunday my friend came over and we threw clays for each other, I didn't hit a single one..

Now I've never been taught how to shoot a shotgun by my dad because I was never realy interested, but now I'm 20 somethings clicked and I want to start shooting :good:

I've got my own 20 bore which is an old Belgian Side by Side but I'm trying to hit the clays with Dads 12g Baikal O and U which I prefer to my gun ( has less kick even with the pacymayr decelerator IMO )

I've trauled the internet trying to get an idea of leads etc but I can't find anything useful !

Idealy I'd like to see some footage from a bullet cam mounted on the side of someones shotgun as they hit the clays..

Any tips or advice ?

Thanks in advance,

John

John,

What you mean is the girl is interested .... dont blame you its a perfectly good excuse.

are you aiming at the clays or in front of them? remember you are not shooting where the clay is but where it will be when the shot gets there.

In truth I would recommend you go to a clay ground and do a quick lesson.

try a pattern plate and see if the gun is shooting where you are aiming at.try going away clays first as they are easier to hit in my opinion.bring the muzzle up and squeeze as you pull through the clay.build up your confidence before trying different directions.for crossers give them plenty of lead. maybe someone on here from that area could give you a crash course.

John,

What you mean is the girl is interested .... dont blame you its a perfectly good excuse.

are you aiming at the clays or in front of them? remember you are not shooting where the clay is but where it will be when the shot gets there.

In truth I would recommend you go to a clay ground and do a quick lesson.

She is a long time friend from school who I had lost contact with.. but I'm saying no more than that :good:

I'm trying to aim infront of the clay and trying to follow the infront of the clay as a I press the trigger, clay ground has been recommended a few times and its the best Idea I suppose :good:

try a pattern plate and see if the gun is shooting where you are aiming at.try going away clays first as they are easier to hit in my opinion.bring the muzzle up and squeeze as you pull through the clay.build up your confidence before trying different directions.for crossers give them plenty of lead. maybe someone on here from that area could give you a crash course.

Thanks for that, will set something up in the field :lol:

Best advice I could give is invest in a few lessons, it will definitely be worth it. If you're in Shropshire (best part of the country by the way, assuming you ignore Telford and Wellington) you can't be too far from Hodnet. Would have thought that they've got some very good coaches there.

Hello there, I'm only about 14 miles away from Hodnet shooting ground, its £60 for an hours session that includes upto 100 clays ( chap didn't mention whether the price includes gun hire and carts though ) I did go up there to buy a box of clays but the place seemed to be teeming with very very posh people which has put me off quite abit, don't get me wrong though.. I'm not some rough ****** :good:

hey shropshire john you could try horse and country .tv online . its a channel already on sky but the web site has online vidoes to watch. there was one on clay shooting basics last time i looked

might give you a few pointers before youre lesson. its money well spent . learn to do it right before you pick up lots of bad habits . i had a few lessons at minsterly ranges up at the bog no posh people there !! just a good bunch who couldn't do enough for you .(much cheaper too)

• 1 month later...

John you have PM . As i have said before come along to Rodbaston collage on a wednesday night and also ask for Simon he`s a shooting coach and will put you right. Its fiber wads only and £11 for a 50 bird shoot all novices are welcome, great bunch that shoot there to :) Its the closest mid week shoot for my area of shropshire without paying big money at hodnet with the big boys . :hmm::oops:

Buy the Clay Target Shooter's Handbook.

This is the manual of all the advice CPSA coaches give, and is very detailed and definitive. Worth buying and reading through before you take lessons, as all the terminology and techniques are explained in detail, and you will attend your first lesson informed, if not practiced!

Its on EBay, Amazon, and the CPSA website.

£14-95, I think EBay has the lowest postage costs.

Clayman