Increasing the power of your .22?

I've noticed a few ebooks on ebay talking about increasing the power of your .22 rifle :hmm: i'm just curious as to how this would be done :hmm: is it a complicated process and would it be legal / safe? I'm really new to shooting so any info about this would be cool, just curious really :yes: thanks in advance :)

Edited by RichardJ

well if you make it over 12 ft/lb then it is illegal. Police take firearms very seriously. They dont class them real weapons and air weapons they ALL come under FIREARMS so having a rifle over 12 ft/lb could end you in alot of trouble. :yes:

I think 5 years in prison is the current offence for having an illegal firearm! You should be careful matey! :hmm:

well if you make it over 12 ft/lb then it is illegal. Police take firearms very seriously. They dont class them real weapons and air weapons they ALL come under FIREARMS so having a rifle over 12 ft/lb could end you in alot of trouble. :yes:

I think 5 years in prison is the current offence for having an illegal firearm! You should be careful matey! :)

AND ITS NOW BEEN MADE MANDATORY AND YOU DONT WANNA END UP IN

FRANKLAND LOVELY BOY :hmm::hmm:

An illegal firearm is one that has been banned from use, even by FAC holders - such as a pistol or automatic rifle, sawn off etc. This carries a mandatory five year sentence.

An air rifle over 12 ftlb is a section one firearm - not an illegal firearm. Possession of a section one firearm without a firearm certificate is down to judges discretion with a maximum 1 year penalty. The likelyhood of doing time for an over powered air rifle on a stand alone charge is almost zero.

Combine the charge with another offence - such as being in a public place with it without good reason, or trespassing with it - you would probably find yourself dealt with that other offence very harshly rather than being dealt with for the awkward 12 ftlb rule.

I very much doubt you would find anyone willing to pass on the know how regarding a power increase.

cheers for the info!! dont want to get in too much trouble and it's powerful enough for my use already :hmm:

pray to the piston god. :yes:

why do you need to push it over 12lb? is it for foxes or pheasants? :hmm:

was just curious mate :) thanks for all replys!!! :drool: