pop ups

Stour-boy

Have you been suprised to see a little flag appear whilst reading the forum,I have.it gives me details of my IP whatever that is details of my ISP (i know what that is) and what I am running Do you get this and is it legal ? Moderators are you aware of this ? Is this site safe? :unsure: The flag has Danasoft.com printed thereon.

I don't think that's got owt to do with the forum Stour-Boy (don't think so anyway) :angry:

I don't see it when I'm on the forum.

Are you on Myspace - I think it might have more to do with that :good:

I think it's pretty harmless, just stupid. I believe you're the only one that can see it, so your IP address etc can't be seen by others. It just spits back the information that your PC is giving out, but only you see it :unsure:

Edited by Chard

Whats my space ? This happens only when I am on this forum and on both computers. SB.

It's just another one of these horrible social networking things like Facebook and Bebo :unsure:

It might not be that, but that was suggested on a reply that someone else got when they complained about seeing it. If you Google Danasoft, there's loads of stuff on it.

On the C & C fishing forum that I belong to, one of the members has it embedded in his signature, so whenever you have one of his posts up on your screen, there's this little viking **** holding a sign board with all your browser and IP address - pointless.

Evening

Can you recreate this, i.e. is it on the same page with the same forum members that posted - it could be that someone has some Danasoft script in their signature.

What you can do is to copy the URL in the address bar of the page you get the flag on and PM me, if you are not allowed to post it here, and I can see if I can recreate the same issue on my machine.

By most accounts it is not malicious - but I suppose never say never....

Neels

There is a member of this forum who uses that annoying little banner. When you read one of his posts it always has the banner and the address of your computer on it. It is not a problem really - just blooming annoying. Don't recall seeing it anywhere else but in his posts though :angry:

Pushkin

N.B. I think you can click on it and it will take you to the site that gives a clearer explanation of its uses. No more e-mails from unknown sources etc. :unsure:

Do you mean this below, as far as I am aware it is not illegal and just lets people know that they are not invisible when on the net and should use appropriate firewalls etc to prevent hacking. If the mods feel this is an invasion I shall remove it. :lol:

Thanks guys,I really dont see any point in it other than advertising and worrying the daylights out of me.This is coming up on two of my computers which have different security systems. I dont feel like going on to their website just in case they are dodgy! Are there any other reasons as to why they do this? :lol:

Taken from the Danasoft site.

The cool thing about this graphic is that when people see it, they think their private information (like their city or IP address) is being publicly shown on your Myspace background, layout, blog, or forum, and they think that other people can see their private info! Their first thought is, "hey, how did my IP address get on this website?!", or "why is this website telling people where are live?!" In reality, they are the only one that can see their private info, because the graphic is created in real-time for each person who sees is. When you see the graphic, you will see your IP. When others see the graphic, they will see their IP.

This sign makes people realize how vulnerable they are when surfing the web. If you're visiting this site wondering how we know your IP address, you should know that your IP address is automatically shown to every website you visit, including this one. Even if you just view an image from a website, like the Danasoft graphic, your IP is broadcast to that site. If that matters to you, make sure your computer is protected by a firewall, and consider using an anonymous IP browser.

If the mods feel this is an invasion I shall remove it. :hmm:

These have been discussed before and nothing ever came of it. I believe the Danasoft banner is harmless, but it does open a path to Danasoft. We've also found that many sites now ban the use of the Danasoft banner. Whether this is down to the irritation the banner causes, the open path to an uncontrolled source, or any other reason, is unknown.

The general response to the banner is that those that know they need to have anti virus and firewall software just get annoyed with it. Those that are unaware that they need suitable software just get scared of it which inturn is detrimental to the site displaying it.

Whilst Pigeon Watch does not currently have a ban of the Danasoft banner, I think most people would prefer not to see it. For now at least, the choice is yours.