Wing clipping

Does anyone clip their birds wings?

We are contemplating wing clipping our poults as over the past few years they have flown out of the pen early doors never to return again! It's difficult as it's a syndicate shoot with all members working full time apart from my grandfather who goes up every morning to feed up. We go up a few nights a week to dog in but this has to fit in around other things.

So, is it worth clipping the poults wings as I have read it'll keep them in the pen for a little bit longer and make them more acustomed to their surroundings.

How many feathers do you clip?

Most people I sell birds to want them clipped, you just cut the primary flight feathers of one wing. Seems to keep them in a bit longer but not much, normally on our shoot we have a few out after a couple of weeks but I suppose it depends on the situation if they can get up bushes near the pen fence.

The photo on this link is for chickens but you get the idea, if you buy poults in you can get the supplier to clip them. Link.

• 2 weeks later...

Game rearer if you clip a ducks wing it will not fly until it mouls new feathers next summer. Its not wise to pull the quills while they are full of blood ether. You could catch the ducks up and clip the feathered section of the quill where there is no blood. However this will need repeating several times as the feather grows. If you pull developed flight feathers the duck will be flying in about 5-6 weeks.

In short its best not to clip a mallards feathers if you want to shoot them this season.

• 1 month later...

I wouldn't clip pheasants wings, don't forget with out them they are left open to predators more on the ground, sooner they can roost the better, if your loosing birds quickly ***** your feeding , to much too quickly springs to mind.

As for Ducks, Its handy to clip a few duck so they remain on the pond as callers. the others who fly will return with newly made friends, just make sure they feed on yours :lol:

the key to not loosing as many birds is a bit tricky for you but if you could get up to your pen at night to walk your birds back in as they will be mostly waiting around the pen trying to get home to roost i wouldnt rekomend clipping wings as it leaves birds more vunrable to predators ie charlie and knowing where your from and guessing which shoot your in i reckon he will be about as ive shot a few round your way