Keeping guns pristine

Townie

A chap where I shoot clays was telling me proudly that he'd gone to some trouble to find a gun as close in appearance to the one he'd already got (Beretta 687).

He seemed surprised when I asked why and told me it was so he could keep one of them immaculate.

This seems very strange to me. I look after my guns, but they're made to be used and if that involves the odd ding, that's life. Mind you, if I had a pair of Purdeys I might take a different view.

Any views?

Showing off is the point. Which is pointless. Shoot the damn thing or don't buy it.

:blush::stupid:

I love mine, and most have real sentimental value for me, as some I inherited and the others were gifts many years ago. But they are made to be used, and the real pleasure comes from using them - the memories that they come to represent.

I don't use them for knocking in fence posts or felling trees, and look after them well. But a pristine gun? Can't see the point personally.

Robert

Any body who was involved in pistol shooting in the good old days will have known of club members who had all the latest magnum pistols and never shot them . Some people just liked to have a pistol in the house for one reason or another . Some liked them for a conversation piece ,and some just liked to pose with them . It takes all kinds . Harnser .

I'm going to say I kind of understand where the guy is coming from. I was bought, by my parents for a birthday last year, a Beretta Silver Pigeon IV with a lovely stock and in pristine condition. This was on the proviso that I would keep the gun and pass it on to my boys when the time comes, assuming they're interested - a bit senitmental maybe but hey ho. Now I only have one gun, and I shoot with it... regularly. I was rough shooting with it last season in all weather, climbing over gates, fences, through woodland etc etc and I a firmly of the opinion that a gun should be used and every dink, knock or scratch tells a story.

If I've been out shooting all day on a Sat during the game season the gun gets wet or muddy then when I get home it gets taken to bits, wiped down and left to dry out and in the morning it gets a good clean and oil.

I want my gun to last a long time and last a long time in good, servicable condition.

However, if I'm out scratching around a permission on a rainy summers evening for the odd crow, pigeon or rabbit that passes, I get home late and I am up and away early in the morning, I do not have the same time to give to cleaning the gun after each use so I am considering a cheap, used gun for a couple of hundred quid to use, dare I say abuse, and not get to peed off with myself if the odd bit of rust creeps due to lack of complete care and attention to maintenance. That would serve to keep my SP "good" so, as I say, while I agree wholeheartedly that guns are for using, I can see where the guy is coming from.

Any body who was involved in pistol shooting in the good old days will have known of club members who had all the latest magnum pistols and never shot them . Some people just liked to have a pistol in the house for one reason or another . Some liked them for a conversation piece ,and some just liked to pose with them . It takes all kinds . Harnser .

Oh yes, for sure. How many Desert Eagles had more than a magazine-full through them? (Assuming that they did not jam before the mag was empty). And 44 mags were talked about far more than they were used, add to that, with full-house loads they were no fun to shoot either. But all of the posers had one.

I'm off to my shed now to de-pristinate all of my guns before Maiden sees them. :oops: