Mixing buisness and pleasure

taz24

I will be working away from home next month and would

like to slope off for an afternoon and shoot a few clays.

Now the problem would be my gun. I can fix it into the

boot of the car with a security device but I have been told

to remove a vital component from it to ensure it can't be

used.

The thing is though when I'm not with the gun and if the gun

is not inside my gun safe I can't relax.

If I do take my gun with me for a few days and stopping

in motels if I remove part of the gun with me and secure

the gun in the bottom of the boot am I being responsible?

Is there more I can do so I can relax more. Do I take the gun

into my room at night or do I leave it in the car?

Advice if you will please.

taz.

Edited by taz24

Ive got a shotgun cabinet bolted into the back of my landrover but I still dont like leaving anything in it in case they knick the whole vehicle.

Thats my view as well but would it be appropriate to take

the gun into a motel room?

taz.

I would be very suprised if they let you take a gun into a hotel room.I asked at a hotel in scotland if they had any facilities to store a shotgun and they almost phoned the police and were horrified that i had a gun in the car in the first place.

That is what I was affraid of.

What do people do if they a camping?

taz.

If it was me I would have a removable gun safe fitted in my car, the type designed specifically for vehicles which unclip from a back plate to enable you to take the safe to the room at night, we are only talking of a gun take down safe so not so big and bulky, the other thing which I might of done is leave the barells and take the action and fore end with me.

I wouldnt leave a complete gun in any car for any length of time regardless of the security.

I do have a barrel lock - it's a long rod of steel with a cartridge shaped end, goes down your barrel and had a padlock point where it sticks out of the muzzle. You can then run a chain from this to a fixed item such as a radiator. Should be ok for a low risk environment. Or get a soft 'take-down' case in black and handcuff it to your wrist :good:

Assuming it's either a s/s or o/u, split it down and keep the stock end in your room and the barrels in your car boot. If it's a semi, do the same, keep the bolt somewhere else though like in your glove compartment (locked) so it's in 3 places.

If I took the gun into a hotel room over night I wouldn't tell them, simple. It's my responsibility to secure the gun not theirs and I see no reason why they should have to know, it would only risk provoking a knee jerk reaction from some ill informed receptionist or 'manager' who probably knows nothing about shotgun ownership.

As DaveK said, for additional security split the gun. If someone nicks the car they won't have use of the gun.

I was told to remove a vital peice of the gun as well, I picked up a long blueprint tube, the sort of thing they stoff the big rolls of paper into, I took the barells of my semi-auto off and put it in there leaving the action, fore end, stock in the boot.

I was told this was acceptable?

Steve