Solid Shot for Shotgun:

TheDaveyBoy

Owning and using shotguns for most shooting Im not interested in getting another calibre eg 308 etc but I am interested in what uses and FAC restrictions / requirements must be met with the use of solid shot for shooting deer upto 50m: as all the land Im working has deer and often can stalk very close

Im interested to hear of any experience you have in regards loads, solid, sabot for 12g and whether some loads will allow use of chokes not just improved cylinder.

I use a semi auto 3" mag proof chamber (3 shot) - can this be used for a FAC with solid shot or must it be o/u or s/s :)

Constructive comments please ( Pro or Con )

Chris

Rifled slugs are offered by most of the major ammunition makers in a variety of shotgun gauges, including 12, 16, 20, and .410 bore. They used to be made under bore diameter to allow safe passage through any degree of choke, from full to cylinder. Cylinder bore guns are usually recommended for shooting slugs, but in some cases a full or modified choke barrel will give better accuracy with the undersize slugs.

A smoothbore "slug gun" with rifle sights will usually shoot groups in the 3" (6 MOA) range at 50 yards/meters, making them satisfactory deer hunting weapons at short range. An occasional example will do better, and some do worse. Their effective deer hunting range is limted by their accuracy, but the slug itself is dangerous to other hunters at far greater distances, an important point to keep in mind.

However, you will need an FAC with slugs entered on it to buy them, and I agree with the above, it's very unlikely that you will get it for use on deer.

Firstly, it is possible to get slugs on fac for deer, I have.

Whether or not you would be granted slugs for use on deer is another matter. It would all depend on your situation and you would have to convince your firearms licensing manager of your need. Are you a professional deer manager, a farmer suffering substantial deer damage, a gamekeeper with a deer problem etc. If you are then you should have no problem if not I would suggest you have no chance.

I get through a few 12 bore slugs every year and the last batch I bought were Remington 1 oz ones as these were the only ones my local shop sells. I find that they group the best through my old 12 bore s/a with 1/2 choke and a red dot sight fitted on top.

You should have no problems using your 3 shot auto.

However, as you will need to apply for a fac with authority to purchase and use slugs you would be far better advised to apply for say a .308 instead of slugs. A 1/2 decent used .308 won't cost an arm and a leg and will be far better suited to the job, believe me. If I am going stalking I always take a rifle, never slugs. I only ever use slugs if I have the 12 bore with me and have the urgent need to destroy a deer.

Couldn't you use buckshot, SG, SSG or suchlike? These can be used on a normal shotgun certificate and I would imagine they would have a reasonable range.

ATB

Sitsinhedges

I think we are talking sporting shooting and culling, not humane dispatch !.

Within normal shotgun ranges whats the problem :hmm:

well the shotgun slug is more than capable of traveling a half of a mile and if you cant get them for deer control then best get a 243 or similar

as the police may frown on why you want the shotgun slugs

and to have them on your cert you may only be able to use them at the approved ranges for them and to my knollege there is only 3 ranges approved for them in the uk which if i remember right 2 of them are milatary ranges im not sure

and if you do decide to use them do not use a choke less than quarter as if the choke it to tight the preasure generated may cause a blow back (not good) i used to give them to a shooter i know that used them in his 13 bore musket and he loved them

anyway maybe some one else may have some more knollege about these as the laws etc keep changing

and you dont want a lump of lead an ounce in weight when fired going astray with richochey

but you can always ask your feo

and we all can imagine the way the law is on unlicensed fire arms

imagine if the idiots with ilegal guns managed to get their hands on slug loads not a good idea

Edited by radio1ham

you may only be able to use them at the approved ranges for them and to my knollege there is only 3 ranges approved for them in the uk which if i remember right 2 of them are milatary ranges im not sure

These Ranges are passed for slug use, there may also be others im not aware of, Slug is more commonly used for Practical Shotgun Matches & a Rifle would be more suited for deer.

- NRA Bisley

- Shield Shooting Centre (Dorset)

- Carlisle,

- Mattersley

- Oundle Rifle & Pistol Club

- Swadlincote (Derbyshire)

- Worcester Norton

- Minsterley (Shropshire)

- Two Rivers Shooting Club (Hartford)

- Bishops Stortford

- Wedgnock Rifle and Pistol club (Warwick)

N