Sunburn?

Go wandering about like that with a gun and you are likely to be shot by SO19 or any passing farmer. Never forget that Jean Charles Menezes was shot seven or eight times in the head by SO19 for having a sun tan and black hair and being on the London Underground. Harry Stanley died for carrying a table leg in a plastic bag and being a little drunk.

Harry Stanley RIP

Jean Charles Menezes RIP

Why is it that the cowboy cops are always exonerated?

Edited by Evilv

Go wandering about like that with a gun and you are likely to be shot by SO19 or any passing farmer. Never forget that Jean Charles Menezes was shot seven or eight times in the head by SO19 for having a sun tan and black hair and being on the London Underground. Harry Stanley died for carrying a table leg in a plastic bag and being a little drunk.

Harry Stanley RIP

Jean Charles Menezes RIP

Why is it that the cowboy cops are always exonerated?

:lol::good:

Unfortunately the term 'cowboy cops' in my humble opinion doesn't really apply to either of these scenarios you refer to, some objective and impartial research suggests otherwise. In the case of Jean Charles Menezes the officers involved were responsible for dealing with a proven and very real threat, the decision to shoot was not one they had to take as individuals, this was apparently made by a senior officer with a complete overview of the whole operation, they were simply told to shoot or not and as such when that order was given they were to believe that the person they had (in this case pinned to the floor underneath them) had an explosive device on his person... would you do that? I know I couldn't. The failings in this instance it seems were not of the officer responsible for pulling the trigger.

As far as Harry Stanley goes, there was a whole series of events leading to the fatal shooting, a good number of people for different reasons had real concerns that it was indeed a firearm and the decision to shoot or be shot had to be taken by an individual, not from a rooftop 200 yards away, but in close proximity, with the honest held belief that your or someone elses life was in danger. Again, an equally unenviable position to be in.

Regards

John.

Unfortunately the term 'cowboy cops' in my humble opinion doesn't really apply to either of these scenarios you refer to, some objective and impartial research suggests otherwise. In the case of Jean Charles Menezes the officers involved were responsible for dealing with a proven and very real threat, the decision to shoot was not one they had to take as individuals, this was apparently made by a senior officer with a complete overview of the whole operation, they were simply told to shoot or not and as such when that order was given they were to believe that the person they had (in this case pinned to the floor underneath them) had an explosive device on his person... would you do that? I know I couldn't. The failings in this instance it seems were not of the officer responsible for pulling the trigger.

As far as Harry Stanley goes, there was a whole series of events leading to the fatal shooting, a good number of people for different reasons had real concerns that it was indeed a firearm and the decision to shoot or be shot had to be taken by an individual, not from a rooftop 200 yards away, but in close proximity, with the honest held belief that your or someone elses life was in danger. Again, an equally unenviable position to be in.

Regards

John.

Hi John. I can argue with most of that and will very happily, if you indicate you want to discuss it further. The fact is that two wholly innocent men were shot down by police in circumstances in which they had the right to expect to be left alone. No one has been held accountable in either case. It is not threatening, or an offense to be in possession in the street of a table leg that's been repaired by your brother, and nor is it a menace to society to be in possession of a sun tan on the tube. These are not my arguments by the way. The behaviour of police in both these cases is well documented to be deeply flawed and full of crass misjudgments. If you or I made a mistake with a .22 rimfire and through a ricochet hit someone in the head, you can be sure that we would be in the dock. Not so if you're a cop and put seven into an electrician's head on the tube though - oh and one in his shoulder. That's OK. You just need to get the Met Chief to apologise.

Regards

EV

Regards

John.

Hi John. I can argue with most of that and will very happily, if you indicate you want to discuss it further. The fact is that two wholly innocent men were shot down by police in circumstances in which they had the right to expect to be left alone. No one has been held accountable in either case. It is not threatening, or an offense to be in possession in the street of a table leg that's been repaired by your brother, and nor is it a menace to society to be in possession of a sun tan on the tube. These are not my arguments by the way. The behaviour of police in both these cases is well documented to be deeply flawed and full of crass misjudgments. If you or I made a mistake with a .22 rimfire and through a ricochet hit someone in the head, you can be sure that we would be in the dock. Not so if you're a cop and put seven into an electrician's head on the tube though - oh and one in his shoulder. That's OK. You just need to get the Met Chief to apologise.

Regards

EV

EV,

I agree, that with hindsight, both men were indeed innocent and I also agree there were some outrageous misjudgments made as far as Mr Menezes death was concerned, noteably with senior officers involved, who for the record I believe should be held accountable, perhaps that should have been made clearer on my original post. As far as Mr Stanley goes, there's a bit more to it than he was shot for being in posession of a table leg... I've also never taken a shot with any firearm without a totally safe and appropriate back stop, if you don't then perhaps indeed you should be held responsible for your actions, in any case it's certainly not a comparable example to the two previously mentioned scenarios. However I'm aware that we have hijacked this thread for which I apologise and perhaps we could agree to disagree on the matters?

If you're ever about in Essex PM me, we'll shoot some pigeons and perhaps discuss it further down my local!

Regards

John.

• 2 weeks later...
I agree, that with hindsight, both men were indeed innocent and I also agree there were some outrageous misjudgments made as far as Mr Menezes death was concerned, noteably with senior officers involved, who for the record I believe should be held accountable, perhaps that should have been made clearer on my original post. As far as Mr Stanley goes, there's a bit more to it than he was shot for being in posession of a table leg... I've also never taken a shot with any firearm without a totally safe and appropriate back stop, if you don't then perhaps indeed you should be held responsible for your actions, in any case it's certainly not a comparable example to the two previously mentioned scenarios. However I'm aware that we have hijacked this thread for which I apologise and perhaps we could agree to disagree on the matters?

If you're ever about in Essex PM me, we'll shoot some pigeons and perhaps discuss it further down my local!

Regards

John.

Sorry John, just found this post and must have seemed churlish for not responding. I would be pleased indeed to PM you and come for a shoot and a few pints in your local.

Thank you. If I am ever down that way, I will try and arrange it. meanwhile keep on at those pigeons.

Tony