First hang fire ever

Guest cookoff013

Guest cookoff013

First hang fire ever. pulled the trigger, "clink"

i thought eh? and it fired about 2 seconds after pulling the trigger. not quite a brown trouser moment.

i was in a pen, shouldered gun. i missed the clay too.

chaps be carefull out there !

just to recap you youngsters,

any misfire point in a safe direction shoulderd is fine. wait 2 minutes.

unload.

How common are misfires?

I had never seen it happen, and one day at a comp there were 3, not mine but saw them!!!

Like you said, pointed in a safe direction waited a while and nothing, then the chap pulled the carts out and placed them on a timber, which made my pants slightly brown, until some other chap buried them business end down in the mud...

around 10 min later, pumfff, a small crater where one was buried.

The other two didnt go off..

Why does this happen? from what i gather and told its something like a slow buring primer???

which leads to my next question... how exactly does a primer work?

Had a few misfires many years ago. Waited 5 seconds, opened up the gun and popped it in to the other barrel and called for the next pair. They all worked. This means a hard primer usually. I've never experienced any delays in it going off, and even if it did outside of a breech it wouldn't do much harm.

Without the confines of a breech, a cartridge will just piff and that'll be it. They aren't like hand grenades or anything.

How common are misfires?

I had never seen it happen, and one day at a comp there were 3, not mine but saw them!!!

Like you said, pointed in a safe direction waited a while and nothing, then the chap pulled the carts out and placed them on a timber, which made my pants slightly brown, until some other chap buried them business end down in the mud...

around 10 min later, pumfff, a small crater where one was buried.

The other two didnt go off..

Why does this happen? from what i gather and told its something like a slow buring primer???

which leads to my next question... how exactly does a primer work?

A primer requires a direct hit from a pin or any other sharp implement to set it's glass like particles off .I have had numerous misfires on centre fire cal but one including a shot gun cartridge going off 10 minutes later ...........I don't think so .

If someone does happen to find themself in this awkward senario then point the gun in a safe direction for a minute at the very least and upon extracting the round handle with care .As for myself I carefully removed the bullet head and reclaimed the powder as I homeload .

Guest cookoff013

misfires are quite common. 1 in 5000. or so. probly due to the cart not the gun.

hangfires are not common. first one i`ve ever had. the cartridges have all been fine. (the 1.5 k i used.)

i have used a gun that pierced the primers and light struck them. it was a well known fault with the gun.

keep safe out there.

incidently my first misfire / hangfire incident with my beretta, almost 4 years without incident !

Guest cookoff013

-pull trigger,

[click]

-point in safe area / usually where your shooting anyway.

-shoulder the gun, pointing in safe area, wait 2 minutes.

1 or 2 things should happen

-hangfires should fire off before 2 minutes. shouldered, pointing in safe area.

unload hangfired shell. check the primer, for light strike / damage. also might be a broken pin.

-misfires, after 2 minute wait, unload shell, shell should be ejected using ejectors. check the primer, for light strike / damage. also might be a broken pin.

i might be yelled at for saying this. but i`d reload the shell and re fire it.

if its a total dud i`ll destroy by dismantleing it.

Ok, so a hangfire is a slow burning fuse that will eventually fire given a minute or two, if not then check the primer for strike mark, if no strike mark then it could be an issue with the gun, if there is a strike mark then it could be a missfire - pull out the cart - i've heard of people suggesting bury the thing in the ground with the business end pointing down - what would happen if the cart 'fired' while out of the chamber and being placed in the ground - would it take a finger/hand off!!!

Unlikely as it is of course!

I have shot my way through a good 5,000 .22 rounds and had a mis-fire once. I actually came close to errr. soiling myself . As i was on a deadly silent range with 3 experienced shooters who were shooting for their county at the time. I unloaded VERY slowly after a min or two and placed the defective round under my heavy scope base. After the shoot i handed the shell to one of the older men who clearly looked unamused. He quickly put the round in his weapon and fired, waited, bang. So this round was a mis-hang-fire round??? That ever happend to anyone?

I dont know if you watch the american TV show Mythbusters, but they managed to fire .22LR rounds by running a current through them, they got hot and instantly fired. weird thing is, the casing does more damage because its lighter, the heavy head more or less bounces off of what it hits, makes sense really.

Mis-fires with rimfire ammo often happen because the priming compound is not applied consistently inside the rim. I had a box of Winchester subs where I had mis-fires. Re-chambering the rounds, to align the firing pin with a different portion of the rim, worked on all the dud rounds.

I've never had a hang fire with a shotgun or centrefire. But I do recall clearly the sphincter-dilating moment when experiencing a hang-fire with 155mm gun in an AS90.

When you clean your gun please make sure you drop the firing pins out and clean the shoulder of the pin and the base of the hole.

Powder residue can build up as a super hard layer on the two faces and can get to look like the polished surface of the pin until you scrape it and it flakes off.

I was seeing a few to many mis-fires at our clay club and set up a bench to drop the pins out of any club members gun who didn't want to do it themselves. Some hadn't been taken out in 10years plus! Dramatic reduction in "mis-fires".

Never had a slow burn on a round but a grenade yes, just how long do you wait? Long enough for the Disposal quad to arrive then ****** off sharpish!

Guest cookoff013

@ harpoonlouis.

good point about checking the pins, i normally check the face of the primer. my beretta has not been serviced yet. i think its time. i`m waiting for my new toy to arrive. i`ll have it serviced when its here.

nowadays there isnt too many bad cartridges. so the likleyhood of anyone having experience in this is limited.

-just reminding youngsters, that the inexpected can happen.

ps,

DONT FORGET TO CHECK FOR BLOCKAGES IN BARRELS / CONE / CHAMBER AFTER !

Edited by cookoff013