best reasons behind getting .223 and .22 rimmy

flash

was originally going to apply for all the calibres on my dads license as i would be using the same rifles. but ive decided this may not work as the rifles are based in surrey for most of the year, so wouldnt work well for me.

in the end ive settled on two calibres:

.22 rimmy for rabbits and target shooting.

.243 for foxes, roe and muntjack, and target shooting.

im joining the local range(outskirts of my village), which has up to 200 yrds.

have around 25 acres next to the village for rabbits with the rimmy.

nearly 300 acres in north devon for rabbits, fox and roe deer.

would you say that this is suitable grounds for the calibres ive asked for?

Edited by flash

You were partly right the first time;

For Muntjac and Chinese Water deer only- a rifle with a minimum calibre of not less than .220 inches and muzzle energy of not less than 1000 foot pounds and a bullet weight of not less than 50 grains may be used.

For all other deer of any species - a minimum calibre of .240 and minimum muzzle energy of 1,700 foot pounds is the legal requirement.

Your ground suitability will be decided more on how many footpaths, public access etc. rather than the acreage. Apply and see is the only way to go, you could check if others shoot or have shot the area previously and with what calibres.

the rabbiting land in my village is cleared up to 308, and the son of the owner of the farm on exmoor has had the land cleared for his 22, 243 and 308.

and as far as i know there is only one foot path on the land, right on the edge of the farm.

the rabbiting land in my village is cleared up to 308, and the son of the owner of the farm on exmoor has had the land cleared for his 22, 243 and 308.

and as far as i know there is only one foot path on the land, right on the edge of the farm.

If it's already cleared for these calibres, go for it, at least they can't claim that the land is unsuitable!

it is tempting, and almost makes sense, as they may not lile me applying for the 243 for foxes as well as deer.

will getting the .17 be more difficult then a .22?

Hi Flash.

Good to be starting out so young. Think of all the fun you have ahead of you mate.

I just want to chime in with something about the .17.

I just got one and it's a hell of a lot of fun. I've been shooting .22 rimfire for 28 years on and off and working out hold over can be a right pain. My misses are usually either over or under because the terrain has deceived my judgment of distance. Not so with the HMR. Just point it and squeeze and the bunny drops or explodes. I'm really loving mine and 100 yard rabbits are now commonplace instead of a dubious, unethical gamble. Got another one at 140 yards last night and that's with a naff little Nikko Sterling 4x32 scope I got free with an air rifle. I still get out the old CZ452 and stroke it. I even cleaned it yesterday. Anointed it with Hoppes No 9 and put it back in the cupboard.

Then there's the cost of ammo to think of. Twenty pence a shot as against a lot less.

Good luck anyway mate - having the land and a good character means you'll almost certainly get whatever you decide you want.

EDIT:

By the way, 17HMR as you likely know already has a safety advantage over .22 - lower risk of ricochet. When I applied for my recent hmr variation, I just wrote a short letter saying there were situations on some of my shooting places where the high risk of ricochet meant I needed an HMR. I got it back 8 days later, duly altered. I think in some ways, the cops like them better than .22, and listening to some of the whining ricochets I got in July when the ground was dry, I'm not surprised.

Edited by Evilv

what other alternatives are there that are suitable for deer and target? i was recomended 6.5x55 by a friend, due to the low recoil, but huge stopping power.

anyone got much experience with this calibre?

It's a thorny old subject so don't expect the same two answers from any two people :blush:

If you are talking .243 vs 6.5, the main differences would be be the .243 is flatter shooting and probably the best all round calibre for fox and deer, with possible (highly debated) limitations on the larger deer. The 6.5 has a relatively loopy trajectory in compared to the .243, but will give you the option of a bit more stopping power with loads up 160grn+ if you need it.

A guy i know was granted a 243 on his first application, if you have just cause and reason i cant see a problem:good:?

Yep, if you wanted to go deerstalking (good reason), you would apply for a 243 or larger, and get it.

A lad near here has had his first application, for a 308 granted, and it was an open ticket, as are most deerstalkers tickets.

The suggestion that a deerstalker would have to buy a 22rf, then work his way up to a large calibre is ludicrous.

If you have "good reason" for any calibre, it will be granted, subject to character checks of course.