Shooting Charlie

scout

I know this may cause a few raised eye brows, but I'm going to ask anyway.

I have been asked by the farmer on one of my permissions to shoot a fox which he sees around the place. I got within about 10 yards of him today, but I only have a .22lr , should I take the shoot?

Can a .22lr take down a fox cleanly, if so what should be the max range, and should it be a head or chest shot?

I know ideally I should use something bigger, but this is all I have.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks in advance.

A .22 LR certainly will kill a fox. I would advise using high or hyper velocity ammunition. This should be good enough for up to 60 yards. If you are using sub sonic, then you need to get closer. A head shot would be sufficient to stop it but may not kill it outright. If you are using a semi-auto, then a quick back up shot should suffice.

I would not normally recommend using a .22 LR for dispatching a fox, but in some circumstances it can do the job.

Hope this helps.

Steve

I've shot more foxes with my .22rf than with my centrefires. Nothing wrong with it except that you need your FAC to say vermin and fox for your rimmy. If the conditions don't state fox then by shooting one you're breaking the conditions.

Having given you the disclaimer, at 20 - 30 yards you should be able to get a good head shot. Do it like a rabbit, between the eye and ear.

I took one out at around 20 yards with a heart & lung shot last week but charlie wasn't stopping long enough for a head shot.

Put some bait out where you know it will stop to eat it and DO it while it's munching.

Edited by DaveK