Anyone de-breast in the field?

Si-Bore

I shot yesterday over a field of swathed rape. The nearest I can get is probably half a mile from it in the car. So its a long walk with the gear. On the way back I was carrying the pigeon I had shot which was only 35, but weighed quite a bit for a 1/2 mile walk. Next time I think if I shoot more than that I'll make two trips (which I'd prefer not to - as I'd rather struggle with 1 trip :good: - saves going to the gym) or de-breast in the field at the end of the shoot.

Just wondered if anyone else does that?

Cheers

Si

You will need to carry a spade with you if you pluck or debreast in the field to bury the corpses\ feathers. Unless you want to risk upsetting your farmer or the public. If I did that on the farms I shoot on I would be out on my ear at once. I know someone who plucked geese on the marsh , but it upset several members of the wildfowling club ,and the public finding piles of feathers and the story made the local press of which our landlords took a very dim view of. There was a real risk of us loseing the shooting lease on that section of marsh over it.

If you shoot any bird at least give it the respect it deserves and prepare it for the table at home.

Edited by anser2

Have to agree with Anser. Looks untidy and callous unless buried. Even then the local fox and badger population will probably think Christmas has come early when they dig them all up again. The stench from a pile of rotting copses at this time of year is also likely to attract unwanted human attention.

Surely better to safeguard your shooting by making the extra effort to take them off the field whole.

If I was a land owner, which sadly I`m not, I would`nt allow back anyone who treated my land with such disrespect.

Little difference in my mind between de breasted carcasses and litter.

Nick.

It depends on what you want. I only use the breast meat so I pluck all the pigeons in the field then cut off the breast meat. Saves carrying them home and getting feathers everywhere.

Had someone kicked of a permision for doing just that as the farmer tried to blame me , soon told him where to point the finger though .

Also left empty's everywhere :good:

I hate seeing spent cartridges. I know people who just drop them on purpose. I always follow behind, picking them up! :yes:

I see your point on fetching the birds off the field whole. I always believed that instead of then carcass ending up in the rubbish bin, it would be better to be left for nature to clean up and utilise as food etc. Obviously not if foxes are a problem! :good:

Cheers all

Si

I came to a farm last year with 2 Tescos bags full of plastic hulls. I was dumping them in a bin beside the barn.The farmer seemed puzzled as I he didnt hear me shoot that much. I told him that I didnt and I just found these while walking up the hedge. Put me in a good light plus I HATE HULLS LEFT!!! :good: