pamplona

jimdfish

Were you reading about that guy who complied the list of things to do before you die, who died?

Might be wise to leave this one till last incase you're unable to complete the list, saw one video clip of a guy with a bulls horn up his jacksy, :)

There is an airport about 5km from Pamplona and I think BA fly there.

Edited by Dr W

Yep..Ran with them myself 2 years ago...its an amazing place to be even if you don't actually do any running..party time! Bilbao was were we went to (apart from me and a mate that missed the flight so took another flight to somewhere else (not got a clue) and drove cross country for 5 hours!

Barcelona is a six hour bus ride from Pamplona. I went there at the end of April because I am walking right across Spain. So far I have walked from France to Burgos.

The fare from Barcelona Sants station on the bus to Pamplona was E35, which was ok because it's about 300 miles. The buses are very good standard and painless.

On Oct 6th I'm flying back to Barcelona and getting bus back to Burgos. This time I'll walk maybe to Leon or a bit further.

Easyjet fly to Barcelona from Newcastle which is not all that far from Stockport. My return fare in October is costing me the princely sum of £40 with Easyjet. Book well ahead and get massive discounts.

Pamplona is an interesting place. The San Fermine festival is absolutely insane. That whole area of Northern Spain goes in for bulls running in the streets. the first time I saw it, I was walking along in Puente la Reina carrying a big back pack and wondering what all these half crazy people were doing milling around in white clothes and red bandanas. 'It must be some kind of a festival,' says I. Then a loud fireowrk went off and the mood of the crow got sort of frenzied and my son grabs me and points out there is a bull running down the road behind us. We got moving pretty quick I can tell you. The bags did not help much.

If you want to stay in Pamplona during the July festival it will cost a bit and you will want to book up now. Accomodation is pretty scarce then because it is very popular. There is a lot of bull running on a smaller scale all around the villages near Pamplona. I have seen it in Puenta la Reina and in Estella on different weekends in summer late july and early August. I also saw 'bull games' in St Jean Pied de Port just over the Pyrennese in France. It's a Basque thing in general and the Basques are over the border in France as well. Crazy people. At Estella and Puenta la Reina, they had a small temporary bull ring and all the local chavs were jumping in and being chased about by the bulls. Some of them got what they deserved - pretty funny. Some hal;f drunk people misjudged their speed and the bulls with predictable results.

Edited by Evilv

Ryanair do flights to Zaragoza (88 miles from pamplona) leaving from Stanstead, only other way would be a cheap easyjet flight say to madrid then fly an internal airline to pamplona's own airport, just booked madrid myself £47 return,

cheers KW