FAC AIR RIFLE

rabbithunter2008

Hi there all.

I would like to get a fac on a air gun.

How do i go about it.

Also what can help me? ie join club etc

I have land to shoot on, being shooting on them for about 5 months.

Both land owners are very happy.

what the lbs limit on a fac for air gun?

Many thanks

Edited by rabbithunter2008

Hi there all.

I would like to get a fac on a air gun.

How do i go about it.

Also what can help me? ie join club etc

I have land to shoot on, being shooting on them for about 5 months.

Both land owners are very happy.

what the limit on a fac for air gun?

Many thanks

do you mean what is the lbs limit, or what is the limitation that you then need an FAC?

seen some rifles in the 40lbs, but its not a case of just sending off for a cert.

If you have suitable land and permission to shoot it with a rifle, and if you are a respectable chap without wierd mental issues, a bad record of crime, or drug and alcohol problems, and if you can satisfy the security requirements and have a referee who can vouch for your good sense with firearms and character, they virtually HAVE to grant you a firearms certificate for suitable firearms. You can get a .22 rimfire or HMR for sure if you satisfy the above and are of age and have some shooting experience which assures them you are safe.

People sometimes get the impression from somewhere that it is all dependent on the whim of the local firearms department - it isn't. The way the law is written a person has to be granted a certificate for a firearm if they can show a good reason and meet the other requirements. Having said that, my local police force operate a very sensible and efficient regime. In my experience, they are beyond reproach in seeing the sensible shooter is OK and has a good service. If you have a decent sort of land to shoot on, do yourself a favour and buy a rim fire rifle like a CZ instead of an air gun. You will save money, have a far more effective piece of kit and it is no harder to get certificated for than FAC Air. If it's a tiny patch right next to a village, you'll not get permission for a rimfire though.

Edited by Evilv

What i mean is,

what the lbs limit on a fac air gun or does it go on the gun you have.

Or do they give you a limit ie 20 lbs?

I don't think they specify a limit on air rifles. They just put air rifle on the cert and that allows you to go above the 12 ft pound limit.

I have FAC AIR on my certificate as well as .22 rifle and .17 HMR. It used to say '.22 Air rifle', on my certificate before I got my HMR variation. I just went up and looked at my new certificate and for some reason it says '.22 UNKNOWN' in the Type section, and 'NONE' where the number would be. I think I'll ring them up and ask about that. I have an old Webley Axsor which is in standard trim and I had thought I'd send it back to webley and get it worked on for work around buildings and maybe the odd squirrel on a tree truck that I wouldn't want to fire at with a 100 ft pound Eley in case I missed and sent a rifle bullet hurtling off for a mile or two. That's why I had air rifle on the certificate, but I never did anything about it. However, it seems a bit wierd what they have written on there just now since I got it back after the HMR variation. I'm glad I went up and looked carefully at it.

To be honest, since I got the rim fires, I've never felt the need to get the axsor worked up above where it is. I've shot a few rabbits in the farmers garden with it and that's all and it was well powerful enough for that. If the rimfire rifles are too much for a particular shot, I basically don't take it except for the garden job I mentioned.

Edited by Evilv

Is it the same as going for a shot gun license?

Or was that a dumb thing to ask?

Feel free to take the p**s as you will anyway

All firearms are dangerous so they take a careful look at who is asking for them. They need to know that you are responsible and not a criminal or a person with 'issues' that might make it a risk to the public. The same security requirements apply as to shotguns. After that, they need to know that you have a good reason for a rifle and that the land you intend to shoot on is suitable and that the farmers are ok with you using a rifle. They grant you permission for each rifle, like one .22 rifle, whereas with a shotgun you can get more than one without a number of them being specified as happens on a firearm certificate.

That's my take on it anyway. Whether they grant it might depend on how old you are and whether you have experience. Rifles obviously are dangerous at much longer ranges than shotguns, so they need to be sure you are fully aware of that. My first firearms were in the context that I had had a shotgun used on farms for years and that I was a member of a shooting club. Back in the end of the 1970s I had black powder and full bore rifles used at the club under supervison and .22LR and .22MAg at the farms I shot on. Then I gave them up for a good while and started again in 2006 with .22 rimfire, and now HMR. I never had any problems, but I never asked for anything daft. Back in the seventies and eighties it seemed like you oculd get anything you wanted. Loads of guys had a cupboard full of assault rifles and pistols. I always had black powder rifles, pistols and bolt action rifles like my old .303, so there was no reason for them to think I was taking the mick. I knew people who had small canons which I thought was just stupid stuff and some of those guys wanted to have a lot of high power military semi autos which by and large were granted to them.

It's all about character, good reason, and reliability of the person.

Edited by Evilv

Yes the Shing Sung Career is capable of over 80 ft/lbs, but you'll need very heavy pellets or they will go supersonic - at which point you might as well just use a rimmy.

hi jim

there are big bore guns similar to the career that are upto .45 or .50 calibre that will push out 200 ft/lbs B) :)

overkill!! :yp:

john

Yes the Shing Sung Career is capable of over 80 ft/lbs, but you'll need very heavy pellets or they will go supersonic - at which point you might as well just use a rimmy.

hi jim

there are big bore guns similar to the career that are upto .45 or .50 calibre that will push out 200 ft/lbs :good: :good:

overkill!! :good:

john

.... and a trajectory like a rainbow.

For practical small game / vermin shooting where the target can present itself a a variety of ranges, you need a flat trajectory. Most of us here are trying to hit a target area the size of a rabbit's head. For that with a big bore air rifle, you need either an exact range and a set of hold over tables, or youjust have done with all that mullarchy and buy a 22LR or better still a 17HMR rifle which shoots flat from 20 yards to 120 or more.

I can see the interest factor of such a big bore air gun though, but only for shooting on a range where you know exactly what the poi will be.

I followed the link to Daystate - interesting rifle and surprising power, but why spend £1085 to get a rifle that works great at 40 ft pounds and not so well at 80? A CZ 425 can have ammo ranging between 100 ft pounds and 191 (CCI stinger .22LR) can be had for well under £400. I paid about £325 for mine 2 years ago and it has a degree of lethality vastly above any air rifle including fac air rifles that I have used or seen operating.

No disrespect intended at all, but a thousand pounds is a lot of money and then you need to go out and get some way of charging it up.

Edited by Evilv