carrying my gun

sambu13

Not exactly sure about the rules since I'm not sure whether the show ground would be a public place or not, but for me, any time I am in company with other people not involved imminently in shooting, it would be unloaded in a gun slip and over my shoulder.

I mentioned the 'unloaded' not because it would surprise anybody, but it reflects my almost obsessive checking every time I pick up a gun, put it in a slip, take it out of a slip or after any interruption of use. Maybe I'm a knacker - or maybe its the best way to be. We have all read and heard of tragedies that would have been averted had people taken that approach (which I am sure we all do, by the way). Even this morning's news gives an example of a soldier who has been found guilty of manslaughter after picking up a gun in barracks and shooting his mate in the head while thinking it was unloaded. Not to mention the demo of (was it the Israeli?) army who shot several people in the audience of a seminar on gun handling.

Edited by Evilv

Evilv

The moment you posted you were in for it.

If you had not said unloaded someone would have picked you up on it and stating unloaded you were stating the obvious...............you can't win sometimes.

That's OK Charlie - I dish it out.... It comes back again, and he's right - it almost should go without saying, but when someone can be killed if it isn't done, my view is, 'Why not say it, just in case?'

I'll be taking an old mate up on one of my shooting places soon. Before we start, I'll be telling him he's only allowed to shoot in towards the hill, and not out across the valley where a ricochet or a miss could go for a mile or more and land who knows where. He's been shooting for about thirty years, but I'm going to say it anyway. I think that game keepers do the same about ground game even though the old hands know the speech by heart. You still get the occasional knacker letting one off at the beaters.

Edited by Evilv

• 3 weeks later...

ive made it a habit to check the guns unloaded. My mates laugh as i

1. unload the gun to get over the fence,

2.walk nearly 50 meters knowing its unloaded

3.check again before it goes in the slip that its unloaded.....even though i unloaded it near on 5 minutes ago !

i suppose its best way to be, cant be too safe!

Catch someone out, when they think your gun is unloaded slip in some snap caps, hand it to them for whatever reason (over a fence, blowing your nose, whatever, then ask them did you unload it ?

please check, bit of a surprise when they find not empty & might even learn to check just how safe a gun is EVERY TIME YOU HANDLE ONE !!!

what are the rules on carrying a gun around at a game fair?

Everything regarding safety has been mentioned, as said you only get one chance and anyone who takes the **** out of you for checking is a fool.

One thing that I was taught and you may have noticed it at shoots, on the telly (Emmerdale :look: ) and even in shooting magazine adverts is the number of so called experienced shooters who carry the gun slip upside down, putting the weight of the gun on the strap, should one day the stap fail or come undone the stock could well be damaged falling out of the case onto a hard surface, expensive and certainly embarrassing.

:good: D2D

Edited by dusk2dawn