Lamping

Vulcha

Vulcha,

I don't like lamps on guns. You have to pouint the gun at something to see if you want to shot it or not. If you think '******, there's a person', you make that decision whilst pointing a loaded weapon at them!!

We often use both, the powerful hand lamp for scanning the field then when we spot the fox/rabbit use the less powerful one on the rifle. it can be better that way when you have a lot of lamp shy quarry and it's also easy to do if you are out on your own.

Whats the killing range on one of those then? Wouldn't you only be able to fire it downhill or in valleys or something?

No because when you shoot at a rabbit or something, the angle you fire at is always downward at a slight angle, therefore the shot's back stop will be the floor.

With rimmy's you should be using expanding ammunition for this type of quarry there for even if the bullet hits a twig it will disintigrate the bullet rendering it non leathal(within reason) for the rest of its travel.

Rimmy's effective range are about 75 - 100 yards, sure you can kill beyond this distance but you'd have to be james bond to make these kinda shots.

They are are nice bit of kit!

• 2 weeks later...
Am I correct in guessing a "rimmy" is a .22 live round?

Familiar (ish) with the round as I used to target shoot in the cadets but not used to the expression :D

A rim fire is not just .22 but that is the most popular callibre. A rim fire has the primer that initiates the firing of the main charge stored in its rim, when the rim is struck and crushed the primer detonates igniting the main charge.

Dave

Am I correct in guessing a "rimmy" is a .22 live round?

Familiar (ish) with the round as I used to target shoot in the cadets but not used to the expression :D

A rim fire is not just .22 but that is the most popular callibre. A rim fire has the primer that initiates the firing of the main charge stored in its rim, when the rim is struck and crushed the primer detonates igniting the main charge.

Dave

Thanks!

I have never come across any other calibre but now I'll keep my eyes out.

• 1 month later...

Had the bargain of a lifetime!!!

Picked up a second hand Deben lamp for 35 English pounds.

I had been looking on e-bay etc and the prices were getting silly. This one was from a gunshop!! (Andersons in East Grinstead)

Blinding (pardon the pun) bit of kit.

All I need to do now is get out and use it!

Try and either find or make a Lamp with a dimmer switch and keep the light as low (brightness) as possible. It does 2 things for you. It makes you battery last a bit longer and secondly it isn't as likely to spook the rabbits out at a further range. Someone else gave good advice also by switching it on while it is pointing up it's less likely to spook the rabbits. Oh and try and ese the edge of the beam rather than the centre. Scan the layout the day before so you have a good general idea of the area. Sweep with your lamp from one direction IE from right to left slowly. When you get a rabbit in the left edge of the beam STOP. take your shot and switch the lamp off till you are reloaded. Then back on pointing up and slowly lower to the point you just took your rabbit at and follow on as before sweep right to left. Lamping is more like an art. The more you practice the better you get at it. You may want to try a filter too if the rabbits are a bit lamp Shy. When walking from one place to the other switch off the lamp (and make sure the Gun aint loaded!!!) just incase you trip! no one wants a pellet in the *** beleive me it hurts i know. :rolleyes: . The best info i can give is spend a bit of time scouting the area durin the day and find a few good comunal warrens where loads of rabbits sit. When you know where they are i reccomend sitting and waiting them out. You need minimal light for this but a good objective lens on the scope or open sights. Moon light is great for this. Once you pick one off just wait till they come out again and take another. I find you generally get about 4 good shots in till they get too warey. Then move on to the next warren. And when you are done if you don't have enough to show for it spend the time walking back to your can Lamping. Just a few pointers i hope you enjoy yourself

Hello all, im new to the forum so i hope my bit of advice helps. Im fairly new to lamping myself, have been after fox and rabbit for 3 years now on my own and with a friend. Safety is definately the number 1 factor when going out as we dont want any more tradgedies like the ones recently publicised with people getting shot. My advice regarding lamps would be to buy the best lamp you can afford now and get one designed for shooting. Personally I think the draper models etc are ok but the beem pattern isnt great and you will struggle to get a filter which you will find you deffinately need in time. I would recommend that you take a look at the lightforce models (the 170) is brilliant or clusen engineering's range. I use a gun lamp on the scope for rabits its a Deben tracer mini pro with adjustable brightness, if you go for this model you will need decent optics so that they gather the light in effectively otherwise when you turn the brightness down you wont see a thing. I have a simmons white tail classic 3.5-10 x 50 on my rimmy and find it is just good enough.

Take a look at these sights www.deben.com

www.cluson.co.uk

Hope this helps and appologies for the spelling (I never went to school)

Chris

Edited by Shogun