Hide Building & positioning?

Nial

I've got a few newbie questions about building and positioning hides etc...

How important it is that you are completely hidden from 'pigeon view' when you're waiting in your

hide? Is it better to be completely camo'd up, or is it good enough to be in green/dull

colours?

Should you wear a camo hat/gloves etc? What about face nets etc?

Should you be shielded from the air (by trees/shrubbery etc) so the pigeons can't see you or is

it good enough to duck down behind the hide when you see them coming in?

How still do you have to be when waiting? Can you sit and look about or should you be

as still as possible?

I presume it's a good idea to place your hide against a dark background so you're not

lit up from behind?

Thanks for any pointers,

Nial.

Its difficult to be hard and fast on most things to do with pigeon decoying.

I have stood alongside a red landrover at the edge of a rape field and shot over 50 pigeons in less than two hours, not a shred of cammo in sight.

However, days like that are few and far between.

Usually, I use a cammo net hide and shoot from a seated position.

The net is placed so I have a high background and am not silhouetted

I wear cammo clothing from the waist up , including a hat, face mask, gloves and dark coloured trousers.

I always look out for birds through my netting and don't raise my head or arms above the net until I am taking a shot.

Most importantly , I keep all movement to a minimum, until I am about to shoot.

Some good points here. I have noticed in some Shooting magazines, that the author seems to be in the flimsyest of hides, and I wonder was the hide built quickly for the Photos used in the article or is it real. I know that I have built well hidden hides and have seen birds shy away from well out. I think Cranfield has it about right regarding clothing etc and yes its great to have one of those days when pigeons dont seem to care and just keep coming.

There are times when a flimsy hide works better than a solid one. After all all you need is to break up your outline and provided you are wearing the right coloured clothes and it has the advantage that you can watch the aproaching birds through the camo net rather than popping your head above the netting to see what is comming.

and it has the advantage that you can watch the aproaching birds through the camo net rather than popping your head above the netting to see what is comming.

That's prompted another question, how high should your hide be?

Do you sit and look about until you see a bird approaching then duck down or are you sitting below the top of the

hide the whole time?

Nial

The height at the front of the hide depends on whether you are shooting sitting, or standing.

As I am wearing a hat and a face mask and keeping movement to the minimum , I will often look for far out birds with my eyes above the netting, but as soon as the birds get closer, or look interested, I view through the netting.

I am not saying that this is essential practise, its just what I do and it works for me.

The better the shooter is camouflaged, the less dense the cammo netting needs to be (the easier it is to view through).

Make a good hide and then place a friend in it who is not wearing gloves, or a face mask.

Walk away as far as you like, I guarantee you will see their face and hands before you notice the hide, they will stick out like a bright light.

It is no hardship to wear a face mask/veil, or gloves, but it can make a real difference.