second hand shottys

perfect

Detach the forend - wave the barrels about. Any play in the barrel / action joint shows up at this point. You can actually feel if there is any play. Next remove the barrels. Look down the barrels very carefully - from either end. Any marks - ask them to clean them until no marks remain. Any marks - walk away. Check for any dents in the barrel - if any - walk away. If there are cracks in the stock - walk away. Any cracks in the forend - not as serious, but I would walk away. You can always pick one up without a crack. Unless you are prepared to buy a secondhand forend - up to £100 or secondhand stock - up to £200 - walk away. If these are okay - you normally won't go far wrong.

Detach the forend - wave the barrels about. Any play in the barrel / action joint shows up at this point. You can actually feel if there is any play.

If you're looking at a cheap second hand gun does it matter if there's a bit of play with the forend off?

Surely you should only be worred that everything's solid with it on? (Is this not part of its function?).

Obviously I'd expect things to be 'perfect' if I was spending ££££'s on a gun.

Nial

Check the barrel wall thickness, and check for any dents or bulges. Dangle the barrels by the lumps and rap them with a knuckle - you're listening for a clear ring, like a tuning fork. Shake the barrels to listen for any loose solder beneath the ribs. Remember that a real good polish of the wood- and metal-work can mask imperfections, or in the case of the timber, some cracks.

Ultimately if you're unsure, get a second opinion from a genuinely knowledgeable friend or local RFD (the latter particularly if it's a case of marginal barrel thicknesses on a gun that still looks a good buy etc).

Thanks for all the replies, hope to get an o/u but do fancy a s/a, on the s/a im scared of getting something that im going to have problems with, iv read so many times that people have cycling problems, is this the main problem with semis?

I want to buy maybe two guns a 410 and a o/u or s/a, what would safe bets be with a grand to spend? or is this just daft and unrealistic as i want solid reliable guns.

Edited by perfect