Training Springer

Rossenarra

From reading books and watching videos on how to train a springer spaniel I have a question regarding use of the whistle.

In the DVD I have been watching the guy using two whistles, thunderer for sitting the dog and the silent one for turning him and recalling.

So I was wondering would it be a bit awkward if one had two whistles, a gun and a dog to manage while out rough shooting

Also reading Joe Irving’s book, it’s a good book but it’s not 100% devoted to training a springer

Oh one more question….. whats all the commands a springer should understand, would they be

Sit - “hup / one blow on whistle/ raise gunâ€

Hunt – “get out thereâ€

Turn – two blows on whistle , is there a verbal command for this

Retrieve – “ is this also get out thereâ€

Come back “ call name / three blows on whistleâ€

Stay at heel “heelâ€

Hello Rossenarra.

I only use one whistle for my springer, and so do alot of other people.

General rule of thumb for whistles are:

One pip stop and sit

Two pips when working/hunting ie quartering in front of you. Turns him left and right.

Three pips re-call.

When I want him to work i tell him to Get on

He must obviously understand hand signles, left or right I give him the hand signle and say Get over

If he needs to go further out I give him the hand signle and tell him Go back

If its a blind retrieve but i have seen it, I direct him to the general area and Call out, High lost he knows to hunt there.

These are just standard vocal and hand signals.

Say as little to him as possible, He is a dog and dosent understand a huge vocab. Basically keep it simple.

My favourite command during his training always seemed to be NO and for **** sake :lol::yes::lol:

Its heartbreaking at times, but I would personally say its the best achievement and the best feeling i have had for a long time.

Theres plenty of help here, each stage you go through there will be someone to help.

Good luck

Mike

I'm no expert and can only offer my views. :lol: I use one whistle a Acme 210. :yes:

One blast sit (this also means stay until i want my dog to move)

two peeps turns the dog

repeted peeps calls the dog back (no need to use her name)

Get on, she starts hunting (i sometimes use other sounds to encourage her into cover)

Get back to retrieve.

I am sure someone will put me right on the calls i should use, bo***** i have shot with a lot of different people over the years with lots of different dogs i have never heard exatly the same calls from different people. :lol:

main thing is to keep it consistant dont confuse the dog grandad always said when a dog goes wrong on shoot day dont draw attention to the case by standing there shooting and balling just carry on as if for normal and whistle the dog to you and then when the dog comes back bob it on a lead and at the end of the drive when they all say did you see that dog come out the end of the drive say no whos was it

I'd also add "Leave" as a command. It can be handy if he gets preoccupied with somthing when out.

You might also want to use "Back" for when he needs a little help getting far enough out on a retrieve.

Other commands useful around the house are:

"Stop whining"

"Off" (as in "Off the sofa you muddy little swine")

"Leave me alone for five minutes so that I can read the paper in peace you hyperactive dog"

As well as all that's been said here, bear in mind the dog doesn't speak English - you could say "chocolate biscuits" for sit if you wanted provided the dog associates that sound with the required action.

A friend of mine also chooses his commands depending on the dogs name, for example, he has one spaniel called Tina who he tells to "sit" when he wants her to sit and one called Sam who he tells to "hup" when he wants him to sit because his name starts with the same letter as sit and could lead to the dog pre-empting what it's being asked to do. Basically keep it short and consistent.

I also use one whistle as described previously - one stop, two turn, series of pips come in; faffing about with two whistles and a shotgun walking through a wood didn't sound like much fun.

Good luck

WGD