FAC question

GJUK

Hello all.

Sorry, I'm sure these kind of questions have been asked thousands of times here. Please help me out though - I'm a newbie!

I'm looking to gain a licence to own a shotgun, to shoot game with. I have used air rifles before (lots) and want to move on to these now (if I can).

I'm 24, a home owneer and have nothing as a criminal record.

How and what licence do I need to own a shotgun please?

Jon

You need a shotgun licence of course. To get this you will need a place to use it - to show good reason. If you have permission on a farm etc, then you should not have any problems. You will need a gun cabinet to store the shotgun/s and you will need a referee to countersign the application form for you. It's not as difficult as some people think to get a shotgun certificate.

You could also join a clay pigeon club as well.

Thank you for the reply.

Whats the difference between an FAC and shotgun licence please?

Thanks.

Jon

FAC (Firearms Certificate) allows you to have rifles over a certain power, or if you want to have a semi auto shotgun with more than 2 cartridges in a mag.

Shotgun certificate obviously only shotguns.

Edited by dustyfox

FAC = FIREARMS certificate, although last time I check firearm was not spelt fire arm.

- basically 2 sheets of paper that allow you to hold a certain number of certain calibre rifles, ie, fires a single 'bullet' (execptions as always)

-these sheets also allow you to purchase a set amount of a certain type of ammo in said calibre.

SGC = Shot Gun Certificate

-another 2 sheets of paper that let you buy, obtain, borrow for 72 hours, sell, own, transport a SHOTGUN, that fires shot not bullets

lots more differences, but that could take a while to go into, An SGC is easier to get.

You could apply now at your address, and then when you move, contact the police to inform them of your new address. Depending what police force you come under, this could take some time to sort out. If you are not desperate to own a shotgun yet, just wait until you move into your new address and then inform the police.

Thanks for the reply everyone.

I'm moving house in the mext 6 months or so, so should I wait until I've moved before applying for one of these?

Jon

Depends how soon you want to start shooting really.You will have to send your certificate away to have change of address and the FAO may want to come round to check gun cabinet is securely fitted in new house so bear this in mind.

Just remember also that if you install a gun cabinet in the house your in at present-you'll have four whacking great big holes to fill in afterwards and you'll have to stick the section of skirting back on...so dont throw it away!

Spend a morning clay busting cos this is good for teaching moving target shooting and possibly pay for a shotgun safety course too.This will all be to your benefit when the FAO interviews you.

Try googling clay pigeon shooting in your area cos chances are theres a few.

Edited by Imperfection