Rabbits

erk108

Hi all

i have permission to shoot at my local cricket club using my air arms s400 air rifle.For a long time now i wait for ages hiding behind my cammo net and bushes.No rabbits are coming out.I tried down wind,tried lamping and going at different times of the day still no rabbits.When i see a rabbit it usually comes out far away from where i am and cant get near to it for a shoot as the rabbit just runs away.Seems like they know i am there hiding as i can hear them making noises in the bushes but cant see them.I know there are rabbits there as i shot one couple of months ago but aint head a chance since then.Every time i see one they just dont let me near them.How long do i have to wait for rabbits to show and with cold weather now on the way will they start coming out?.

Edited by erk108

i have a gun lamp madjack xverminator with red filter but cant shoot anything with it, as no rabbits are coming out near me.Tonight waited fo 2 hours heard noises but nothing came out.I left after 2 hours.This is like that all the time i go there.I was wondering if i have to wait longer.

You should try different times, as rabbits are creatures of habbit.

Sounds to me like they have been shot before and are 'shy'.

I don't know of your lamp but check out some of the lamping techniques discussed on here. Smell is another key issue, are your clothes full of lenor freshness, rabbits will smell that. :hmm:

i am hiding under cammo net and the grass is short being a cricket club.I found a spot in the ditch and hang the net up over me.I was thinking if the grass being short is having an effect for them not to come out.I am certain they cant see me as the cammo net is hang up well around me.I can hear loads of rustling around me but no rabbit is coming out.Should i just carry on and just wait or chanage to a different hiding position?.

Edited by erk108

It probably won't hurt to try different hiding places. I've lied out in plain view of warrens with no cover quite often in the past and they will come out after a while. Providing you keep still, you may get stared at for a minute before they settle down and start feeding. I think that they are geared to spotting movement, so if you keep any movements nice and slow, you ought to be ok. Being downwind of them is also important as they'll be reluctant to come out if they can smell you.

One thing that I've noticed this time of year is that they spend more time in the hedges during daylight hours. Often a lamp is the only suitable option.

Gareth

Is your hide near any holes?

If so they might smell you via the holes that your near :good:

Just go without you airgun and you will see loads :blink:

As all ready said just keep trying different times try and keep walking into the wind

Good luck and keep us all posted :blink:

Edit sorry walk into the wind :blink: not as i said behind you :P

Edited by rabbithunter2008

this might sound stupid but how do you know the rabbits are feeding on the pitch ?

is there evidence of droppings, scrapings etc, if there is you should be able to work out roughly where they are coming from, its then a case of having the wind blowing into your face NOT behind you settling in and waiting, alternatively drive down park up in your car and with a decent lamp have a shine around from the comfort ofg your car for a hour or two and work out where they are coming from, going too etc