How to "finish" them

rabbit assassin

How do you finish a wounded animal? (airgunners)  

83 members have voted

1. 1. "To kill a pigeonbird"

• Point blank headshot
    • neck wring
    • neck smash
    • "the stick"
    • priest
    • knife
    • leave it to die by its self
    • bite its skull until it cracks

I use a variety of methods...

When ferreting and a rabbit is in a purse net, they are bolting all over the place and it is going to take a while to untangle then I do occasionally dispatch them with a blow to the back of a head with a priest. However most of the time I neck them, holding them by the back legs and puting by thumb and index finger around the neck and pulling.

Squirrels get another shot whenever safe. If not the priest comes into action with care as has already been mentioned, squirrels have a seriously nasty bite. This is why many people do not send their dogs to retrieve them.

Rats same as above.

Pigeons, crows, magpies etc. get 'taken for a quick spin' or have their necks wrung. I have found that crows can be alot more resiliant that pigeons, a tip I was told by a gamekeeper who was dispatching crows in larson traps was that to make sure a crow was dead and not just stunned if you are hitting them on the head was to make sure it was bleeding out of its ear. However if you are worried about getting this right or not just use a priest as you don't want to prolong any suffering that the animal is in.

I've never delt with wild geese but the last domestic goose I delt with after being crippled by a fox I just held its feet, put a broom handle over its head on the floor, pulled and it was all over.

Pheasants, the few that I have dispatched have been with a priest.

Remember, just use what is quickest and most humane for the quarry than you can do, even if that means another shot to prevent it reaching cover or the water wherever safe.

FM :good:

If you want a priest, look no further......

>>> Priest for sale <<<

Made to order and a variety of wood available, laburnam, Yew, Cherry, walnut and Rhododendron

All made by me in my shed

PM me if your interested

The priest looks the business and quite well made, certainly as good as any commercial ones available, maybe a refinement would be a small hole drilled in the handle end and a lanyard fitted to attach it to a belt loop, it could then be carried in a pocket ready for use but not put down or lost.

For many years I picked up on several large estates, where etiquette was important, despatching more Pheasants and Ducks than I care to remember and this arrangement served me well.

Also the same priest can be used when Fly fishing etc during the summer months.

Rgds D2D.

for rabbits, I just shoot them in the head again with the airgun point blank in the head, for birds wring the neck, I dont think theres a laid out method so I just grab the neck so it cant move then just spin the bird :angry: (is this a wrong way?). or for crows ext just shoot again :good:

for foxes do you guys just shoot them again when their on the ground from range.....im picturing a man wrestling with a fox trying to bite it :):angry::angry:

Steve

If it's pigeons, i hold it's head up to my **** and give it a silent-but-deadly... :good:

For foxes, I bite their heads clean off, after wrestling them to the ground. :( ???:mad:

But on a rather more serious note... :good: Rabbits get another pellet in the head, as do pigeons, and for a shottied pigeon - he gets his neck pulled.