Best place for shooting pigeons

Beno

Hi I am quite new to pigeon shooting I have been out a few times with not a lot of success. Is it better to shoot in a field away from the forest or beside it there seams there to be loads of pigeons feeding on the field beside the forest but once I fired one shot there gone. And never seen again for the rest of the day. I’ve figured out were the pigeons flight lines are. There’s this other field that’s directly under the flight line and there seems to be a good few feeding on it so really which is better. Its a stubble fields by the way. And is there any other things I should be looking out for thanks.

Edited by Beno

hi there, trust me the one shot and they clear off is common! you know the flight lines witch helps straight away setting up under a flight line can be the difference between a good and bad days shooting useing the edge of the woods can help but make sure your well hidden all the way round, plus a couple of lofters never hurts and gives the birds more confidence always put yuor decoys facing into the wind useing the v or u shaped pattern but not militry style scatter them about a bit making the decoys look more appealing, keep your eyes open for feeding in feilds nearby aswell they could be moving on to another feild once you had a shot! good luck buudy and happy shooting!

Given the choice i would allways prefer to set up away from trees . Unless there is only one or two trees in the field that you could set up close to . Where there are lots of trees the pigeons will mostly have a look at your decoys and then decide to land in one of the trees to sit and have another look . If the birds are committed to feeding and will come into the decoys than you are better off to be away from any trees which may draw them for a sit up . If you only have one or two trees in the field than this can be an advantage as you may be able to shoot them as they fly into the tree if you are set up within gunshot . Harnser .

It could be that the birds you see by the forest, have just come off the roost and are having a snack before they move off.

Its probable they will feed away from the roost for the main part of the day.

Walk them off (as suggested) and then see if they come back, I doubt they will.

The stubble field away from the forest seems a likely spot and wortha try.

Don't forget that from about 2.30-3pm the birds will be making their way back to the forest.

That would be an ideal spot for some roost shooting.

• 2 weeks later...