PIGEON PLUNGER

mikee

Hi guys,

any of you tried the "pigeon plunger" I used my new ones this morning, they seemed ok but as the dead bird is mounted with the support pole behind and the very whippy rod every time there was a big gust of wind the bird would flip right over backwards, the mounting system is very quick and easy and on the whole not a bad piece of kit but it will definitely benefit from some DIY modification.

mikee

I have seen one demonstrated and think they might be OK on a still day, but any breeze is going to make them behave crazily.

The one I saw had a foam type decoy on it and it did look as though a real dead pigeon could be too heavy for it.

Not the improvement of the floater/bouncer that it is intended to be IMO.

A real pigeon is to heavy when fully extended but appeared to be ok when i shortened it a bit, the real problem seems to be that the bird is mounted the wrong way round (no smutty replies please) if the bird was front mounted a stronger gust of wind would just push the bird down a bit further rather than flip it right over. mikee

Edited by mikee

just bought one of those chris green bouncers of ebay for £43 +p&p, quite pricey but if its as good as every one says it should be worth the money, also bought some stick on foam wings and tails so may be able to make some copies, watched the clip on you tube a few times and it certainly looks the dogs do dah's

mikee

it is expensive for 1 but if its as good as it looks and not too complicated to make i can get 1/2 a dozen then its not so dear, started modifying the plunger today, just need a springy steel rod the same diameter as the fiber glass rod and the jobs done, the guy next door is going to manufacture the small steel tube with the grub screw and i can weld it to the end of the steel rod, whis should have the decoy facing the other way round

mikee

hi cranfield

i spent £43 on the "ultimate pigeon decoy" which if its as good as it looks on the you tube video should be brilliant. i bought 2 "pigeon plungers" for £10 each, these are what i'm altering , they flip over in strong wind because the mounting pole is fixed down wind of the deek the pole is coming out to the rear from under its tail, i'm trying to get it the other way round so the pole comes out forward from under its neck, then however strong the wind blows all it will do is waft up and down, will post pics when completed.

£43 is a lot of money for a deek but i'm hoping to make something similar and this is a pattern which should make it a good investment.

I used to do a lot of pigeon shooting until about 15 years ago and have only started again this year, there is so much more equipment available to todays pigeon shooter than back then, all i had back then was a sack full of plastic coys and if i wanted a floater i would impale a dead bird on a long whippy stick, its trying to sort the **** from the worth while gear available that seems to be the trick today, pigeons still seem the same though

mikee

got the ultimate pigeon decoy through the post today, fantastic piece of kit I tried it in the garden and it performed very well in what little bit of wind we have today, just like the u-tube clip, will be trying it out saturday for real

mikee

Edited by mikee

• 1 year later...