Lamps...

Wookie

So, I'm in the market for a new lamp, something I can use for both the .22 and the .17 and that will replace the Logun one I had on my air rifle. I tried using the Logun and it's just not man enough for either except at close range and I can't risk a shot where I can only see eyes.

Anyway, I have three options right now:

1) gun mounted

2) Handheld

3) vehicle mounted

The lazy part of me wants to sit in the car, relaxing, staying warm and just use either a cigar lighter powered gun mounted or vehicle mounted lamp, but I guess I could use a battery powered gun lamp or bodge a handheld to the gun.

The big question really is what is going to be man enough for the job. What power should I be looking for? I know enough now that the stated ranges are rubbish (especially with a filter on) and so I would like recommendations for makes and models. If there are any real dogs out there, I'd appreciate the nod just so I steer clear of them.

Also, if someone has bodged a cheap million candle power torch to do the job and would recommend that instead of something more... dedicated, it would probably make the fiancee's life a little less stressful in the upcoming days. That was my original plan!

Cheers all.

Hi Wookie if its not got to be state of the art and not break the bank I have a setup you can have that will lamp out to .22 sub ranges.

Scope mountable 400.000CP Deben Blue eye, with red filter, battery and case.

£50 the lot plus whatever the postie wants to bring it.

PM me if you want it,

Rgds D2D.

i use a deben tracer atom scope mounted lamp which is fairly good out to about (with clear image) around 70 meters or so with the standard 15 watt bulb in it

ive just redone mine with a 20 watt bulb and have yet to try it as i mainly go for fox when lamping with the 243

lamp them with the big lamp then will use scope mounted lamp when they closer

mind you the replacement bulbs for these are pretty expensive

so i used the existing bulb reflector after a bit messing around i put a new fitting on to the reflector and now can change the bulb to suit my needs

but if you needing long distance maybe get one with the 400foot beam

• 1 month later...

Right... Finally giving in an actually buying something instead of trying to make do.

I really need opinions too as, despite D2D's very kind offer, I'm going to be buying something new and doing something good for the economy.

Scope mounted by the way...

So, First question: Clulite or Lightforce?

Second question: If Lightforce, 140 or 170?

It'll be plugged into the cigarette lighter if that makes any difference...

Right... Finally giving in an actually buying something instead of trying to make do.

I really need opinions too as, despite D2D's very kind offer, I'm going to be buying something new and doing something good for the economy.

Scope mounted by the way...

So, First question: Clulite or Lightforce?

Second question: If Lightforce, 140 or 170?

It'll be plugged into the cigarette lighter if that makes any difference...

LF 170 everytime, the 140 isnt man enough when a filter is used, and a dimmer can dumb down the 170 if the sit needs it.

If using 100w bulb beware of using the standard Deben dimmer as used with a tracer max 55w, it will burn out the dimmer, deben do supply a 100w dimmer pn. TH2440

Scope mounted can be used handheld without a prob.

Hope this helps with your deliberations :lol:

Rgds D2D

PS the lamp is available to anyone who wants it.

Lightforce 140 Wookie.

Unless they've changed how thee make them it'll need rewiring, but once you figure out what connections you want on it's really not a big or tough job.

But, if you're going to be buying a centrefire rifle soon-ish then get the 170, as that will save you buying two lamps. If you're not, then go with the 140. It's a nice small handy lamp. I mostly use my 170's and when I use the 140 it feels a bit like a toy lol. Even though it's only 30 mm smaller! The 140 can take up to a 75W bulb, don't go above that though or you'll knacker the reflector.

If you get one, this is what I'd do with the wiring, because I like to have options. I would make two short leads, one that plugs into the vehicle cigar lighter and the other that you can attach to a battery if you fancy taking a walk. I'd cut off the lamps cable just above the curly bit and replace that, the connection I'd put at the end of that could match either the cigar lighter lead or the battery lead, if you follow my meaning, so your one lamp can work off either the vehicle or a battery, just plug'n'play!

If you fancy spending a bit more, I'd get an inline dimmer unit from Deben. Instead of cutting the cable from just above the curly bit I'd also remove the supplied switch, and wire in the inline dimmer from there plus your new lead and connector.

I don't bother with fuses, but other people do. So I won't say don't have one, just my choice not to use them.

A Deben 800m/a charger could also be wired up to fit the battery lead connector :lol:

Yay! It turned up this morning, which is nice. But, it did not have a bulb in it, which is both annoying and really annoying as I was planning on trying it out tonight.

Do the 170s come with a bulb normally? Is it normally mounted inside, or in a small bag in the box or what? Right now I am waiting for the shop to open so I can ask them politely about it...

Done that John. It aint there! And, according to the shop, they are going to have to order me one as they have no others in stock.

So, tonight's lamping session is off and I'm going to be going to _another_ gunshop to get a bulb on the way back from claying tomorrow morning. I might actually get to use it tomorrow night. If I'm lucky.

Oh yes. It's coming FOC, but I still have to go an buy one now... Just a tiny little bit annoyed.

Maybe I'll just go home, plug it in and make lightsaber noises with it for a while whilst sitting in the car on the drive. Yeah, that'll be fun.

• 2 weeks later...

Quick querry re the scope mount 170, does it also have the brass thread in there like the handheld model or is there another easy method of fitting it to a roof mount T handle? I understand they do make a specific vehicle model but doesn't look like it could be scope mounted.

Cheers