Anyone having any joy in norfolk

harveykeitel22

I have been out 3 times this week in N Norfolk. Fair numbers of pigeons about ,but you have to be there early to get them. Monday I was out at 9.00. One rape field had about 500 on it. It was a long walk to it as the track was flooded. So I went for an easy option that I could drive up to and unload the gear at the hide. About 100 on the field when I got there ,but not many came back after I set up. Ended up with 4. I spent a few hours in a oak wood , but very few pigeons about and only shot 2.

Tuseday morning set up on the field that had 500 on it yesterday at 8.00. 3 came into the decoys and 2 were shot. Yesterday morning I was out early on another rape field 5 miles away. Even though I was there at 7.15 there were already 200 birds on the field. Set up in a beetle bank and the birds decoyed well. Ended with 28 and for once I did not miss many. But as usual at this time of year in this area the flight finnished by 10.30. I stuck it out until 1.00 , but nothing moved after 11.00.

I would say there are fair numbers of birds about , but nothing exceptional. A few favoured rape fields are holding pigeons , but a lot seem empty.

Edited by anser2

well im south of norwich, and i havent really seen too many on the rape, seem to be on the beet tops, in the big flock, but having no joy decoy really, cos they seem to go away, onto another field everytime, the most joy ive ever had decoying is on stubble, but theres too much food about for them, and not enough pigeon shooters out there

Harvey try getting on the field before the pigeons leave the woods first thing. Until mid Feb I find I shoot 90% of my decoyed pigeons before 10.30 AM and its a waste of time going in the afternoon. My normal decoy set up is 25 H&H rubber and shell decoys , 2 bouncers , a magnet and if near some trees a lofter or two.

Been shooting a few on beet chippings but not that many .Big flocks of birds about ,but after shooting half a dozen they all seem to move on .Same on the rape pick a few birds up and then they are gone . The last best day i had was on a field of barley stubble that hadent been sprayed off and was full of chick weed . Shot in exess of 400 birds in 6 outings the best day being 96 birds picked up . Noticed today that they seem to be coming bacy to this field ,will be keeping my eye on it . The worst thing at the moment is how wet the farms are it very difficult getting onto the fields because of the mud . One beet field is so cut up by the harvester and the tractors it looks like a mini broad . Lot of heavy rain again in my parish today just made every thing wetter . Some of these fields at the moment i wont even chance the disco on . Harnser .

Mate JJ is shooting a few on rape Letheringsett way, bags of up to 50 then it goes dead. I shot 26 at roost the other side of Holt Wed and another 13 after a walked up day at Eye (Suffolk) on Saturday. I fished Walberswick last Friday in the light with a mate and there was a massive influx of pigeon in the afternoon. One flock must have numbered 5000 if there was one. So carry on the good work all.

Edited by Whitebridges

• 3 weeks later...

Been out twice this week on Rape near Watton, slow days really, I was out early about seven set up as it was getting light, birds came into the pattern okay but I was Relying on the Scatterbirds in the surrounding fields to keep them on the move didn't help that there wasn't a breath of wind but it got me out of the house. checked crop of a few birds and found mostly suger beet tops. Also found it good to rest the Magnet for a while seemed to give the birds a bit more confidence and a few came in again till lunch then it died right off. never done this before seemed to work okay. Also on the second outing i Positioned myself about thirty or fourty yards off a flightline set up by a tree & Bull thorne hedge but put my Mgnet the other side of the hedge nearer the flightline and could see some of the pigeons clock the magnet swing round and come into the pattern. I was pleased with the result of this tactic, again it was something i had never tried before but when shooting is tough i like to try new things. I also think i could have benifitted from a few pigeons lofted in the tree near me but didnt have the gear with me. All the best Tis