Just bought a second hand sausage maker

rayo

Boerewors (Boer=Farmer. Wors=Sausage.)

If anything is unclear you van mail me on pierre@internext.co.za

(You want to make a South African feel nostalgic? Feed him Boerewors. The Boerwors recipe is considered a National Treasure and everyone has their own voodoo to make it better.)

Ingedients:

2 kg well matured beef

1kg fatty pork (neck, shoulder, belly)

45 ml whole coriander

5ml whole cloves

30 ml salt

15 ml milled black pepper

2 ml grated nutmeg

10 ml ground allspice

10 ml brown sugar

125 ml dry red wine or dark vinegar

90 g thick sausage casings, soaked in water

Method:

Prepare beef and pork by trimming off all sinew, and other nasty bits and pieces that may affect the texture.

To facilitate mincing, cut meat into long, narrow strips about 3 cm in diameter and freeze for about 30 minutes.

Mince meat through a course mincer for a rough texture , or finely if you prefer.

Allow the meat to be fed through with very little assistance from the tamper.

Finish off by mincing a piece of bread to remove every vestige of meat from the mincer.

Roast coriander and cloves in a dry frying pan, tossing the spices about until uniformly brown and aromatic.

Don’t allow to burn.

Grind spices with a pestle and mortar, sift to remove husks, mix with remaining spices and sugar and sprinkle over the mince.

Lightly mix in wine or vinegar.

Drain the casings and place over one end of the filling horn and carefully push all of the casings on leaving a 10 cm length hanging down.

Tie a knot in this.

Grabbing hold of a second pair of hands at this point makes wors-making less traumatic.

You can then feed the mixture in while assistant hold the casings, guiding the filling in.

Feed the mixture into the mincer a little at a time , while securing the casing with a gentle pressure of one hand on the horn to control the unrolling of the casing as its filled.

Mould the sausage with your hand to make it uniformly thick.

Don’t pack the casings too full, or the wors will burst while cooking, but try to avoid air bubbles.

After the casing has been filled, remove it – still attached to the horn – from the machine.

Push any remaining filling into the casing and tie a knot in the end.

Braai quickly over hot coals.

The skin should be crisp and the middle just pink.

Serve immediately.

Was at a car boot sale on wed and picked up an old mincer with attachments to make sausages (£3) so i thought for that money i would take a chance so if any one has any recipes using mainly Rabbit / pigeon i would be grateful

Cheers :good::)

Having seen how close you shoot game birds they are already sausage meat through a mincer as they fall from the sky. lol

Was at a car boot sale on wed and picked up an old mincer with attachments to make sausages (£3) so i thought for that money i would take a chance so if any one has any recipes using mainly Rabbit / pigeon i would be grateful

Cheers :hmm: :(

elton-john-picture-1.jpg

Sorry, i couldnt hold back :blink: :lol:

on a serious note, what fruits are there that go well with rabbit? ... like you have pork and apple, ect.ect..

maybe some straight rabbit with some fruit/ seasoning sounds like a winner. What about cranberries? nice tartness to them.