Stupid reloading question

Firstly, I would like to say that I don't reload my own and I have no experience.

I was playing with a brass case and a bullet tip and I was interested in this:

Obviously the bullet fires facing the right way, but if it were to be placed the other way round? It would fit and travel nicely because of the boating on the back, but how would it fly? Obviously the flatter surface would be the difference between using pointed and flat headed pellets (bar the ability to expand)

Anyway, here's a pic for you if you can't picture it already.

post-12559-1230145010.jpg

post-12559-1230144974.jpg

No stupid comments about how idiotic I am, everyone is entitled to think something silly every now and then

I have used a "backward" bullet countless times, tho not for hunting/targets.

It is a recognised method for fireforming cases in wildcat calibres where cases have to be formed from a different donor case.

At one time, all 22-250 cases were formed using a bullet loaded backwards. I have also used it to form 19-223 cases

If you look around some of the wildcat websites (people like Russ Lucas, James Calhoon etc) you will even see recommended powder loads.

It is quite safe to use this method

hope this answers your question :blink:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Projectiles facing the "right way" are inherently unstable (weight at the back projectile wants to tumble to become weight forward) , that is why barrels have twist cut into the rifling so that the bullet is spinning when it leaves the barrel. The longer and poitier the projectile the faster the barrel twist to stabilise the projectile (55 gn 223 needs 1/12 twist while a 90 gn 223 needs 1/7 twist). The long pointy projectilehas a higher ballistic coefficient hence flies very flat to obtain maximum range (the club I shoot at shoots F class where 223's are accurately shot to 800metres). Turning the projectile around in fact changes it to a wad cutter, accurate, stable (weight forward) but much reduced in range due to the reduction in ballistic coefficient. I have played with large calibres (30) at subsonic speeds and turning the projectile around can infact increase accuracy because they are more stable.

Cheers :good: