fac rapid mk11

ady

does anyone use a fac mk11 in 177 or 22.how does it perform i dont know wether to have my 177 turned up or buy a 22.the 177 will only go to about 17-19ftlbs

while the 22 would be quite a bit higher.would the 177 tend to over penetrate

instead of a nice clean kill i would not want to leave wounded bunnies all over :devil:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi ady,

I personally don't own an FAC rapid but know of someone that does. At 19FtIbs as far as i know you would only be increasing your range by 10 or so yards( never fired a .177). You always here of people talking about over penetration with the smaller calibre and the lack of stopping power. I would only ever take a chest shot or just behind the shoulder at close range, most of the time you should be thinking of head shots or no shots. I should imagine that a .177 at high power would just zip through a rabbits body if it didnt hit any bones, most of the time the pellet will just mushroom inside.

yis andy

A friend in our shooting group uses a .22 rapid II at 30 ftlb on squirrels and I was that impressed that I'm buying the MK1 version myself. The MkII is good but, in my humble opinion, as the trigger and reg are fairly ropey on both I prefer the trigger guard on the MK1 and 'safety catch' action I'm getting the Mk1 and uprating the reg and trigger unit.

Pike

hi ady

if you go to 30 ft lb there is only 1 or posibly 2 pellets that can take that power so you are limited there the other thing is they are not cheap rifles !

if you are going for a fac why not just get a .22 rimmy far better rifle in my and my flo opinion

i shoot with a .22 sako varmint heavy barrel for rabbits and cannot fault it

also possibly a bit cheaper and far more accurate

just a thought

cheers shawn

ps does anyone know what ft lb a .22 rimmy puts out :blink:

You can get rimmy ammo down to around 15 ft/lb or so!

.22 rules the roost in an FAC airgun. The air consumption of a .177 gets quite bad and it becomes quite easy to drill .177 sized holes in the quarry. Also the .22 pellets such as Fields have the best BC about and as such retain more energy downrange and a better trajectory than the smaller calibre. A 30 ft/lb, or just under, on .22 Fields is about as far as practicality can take it. Some will go to 40 ft/lb and bisley magnums which I'd only choose over the 30 ft/lb if the barrel insists on the Bisleys for accuracy

If you are shooting just pigeons a .177 running at around 18ft ( like a Air Arms Elite or HW80) is a very good weapon. You can take 'em with breast/body shots and not suffer with overpenetration. Use a fairly heavy pellet (bisley Magnun) if they suit the individual gun. I wouldn't use such a tool on "fur" quarry though, not enought stopping power.

I've used a Falcon FN19 running 28ft lbs in .20 calibre and this was a brilliant all round gun for rabbits and pigeons. Very accurate because of the flat trajectory. Overall a Theoben R7 in .22 doing 34ft lb with crossman accupells was the best I've used for rabbit and pigeon control.

cheers boys.

i got my mk11, rapid and it is the dogs.

i have an anshultz rimfire too.

the reason i wanted the air rifle is the rimmy can some times be too much gun.

use the right gun for the job in hand.jackle knows all my guns and shoot and is correct on the variation on rimfire ammo :lol: