CPSA

daser66

Depends on what you expect out of membership, and which membership level you go for.

All memberships get their Magazine Pull, 10 issues a year, dedicated to Clay Shooting, and their P/L insurance.

Full membership allows unrestricted entry to CPSA competitions and gives your a "grading" on your average performance, called your classification. If you want to shoot against your personal best, lift your grading from C to A, try all the formal disciplines beyond just practice clays, and enter county competitions and shoot in county teams etc, then full membership will provide the competitive platform you need.

If you are just a social shooter, the Clubman membership allows limited access to competition at one "home" ground so you can try it out.

You can join online through the CPSA site, or pay by Paypal in EBay. Most of the CPSA affliated clubs will allow you to join at the shoot as well.

can anyone tell me is it worth joining the cpsa? :hmm:

In summary no. I have been a member for 2 years and will not be renewing this year.

Lots of threads already on this subject covering the failings of the CPSA and their organisation of "registered shoots" and the lack of appeal to the clay shooter on the street (or the wider clay shooting community).

99% of the shooting world meet once a week at their local ground for a round and some banter.

1% join the CPSA and will spend plenty money in competition entries and miles on their cars' to chase away at competitions across the land. The CPSA just caters for that 1% and no one else. That is the summary.

Oh dear....here we go again, another woolly question.....why bother to join the CPSA, BASC, NOBS, WAGBI or whatever..??

The fact is that if you want to progress in the sport of clay shooting, you've got to be a member of the CPSA, it's that simple.

If all you want to do is visit your local 50 floppy bird straw baler every Sunday, as Mung suggests, then why bother to join any of them..??

Cat.

If all you want to do is visit your local 50 floppy bird straw baler every Sunday, as Mung suggests, then why bother to join any of them..??

More people do a "straw bale" round than a "CPSA registered event" week on week. If you just straw bale each weekend like the majority of clay pigeon shooters then don't waste your money with the CPSA. Yes the CPSA that is supposed to be representative of the majority of clay pigeon shooters.

Granted, the thread is neither entitled "What's wrong with the CPSA?" nor "Is the CPSA representative of the *majority* of clay shooters (no matter how crappy and straw baley they maybe)?".

More people do a "straw bale" round than a "CPSA registered event" week on week. If you just straw bale each weekend like the majority of clay pigeon shooters then don't waste your money with the CPSA. Yes the CPSA that is supposed to be representative of the majority of clay pigeon shooters.

Granted, the thread is neither entitled "What's wrong with the CPSA?" nor "Is the CPSA representative of the *majority* of clay shooters (no matter how crappy and straw baley they maybe)?".

Yes, of course they do, that'll always be the case, the trouble is, most of them build up a very false impression of their own ability and are in for a very rude awakening when they shoot "proper" targets as one would find at, say, the Essex Masters. :yes:

Cat.

Is it a good thing for clay shooting that the CPSA only caters for the elite and not the majority? Discuss.

EDIT:

I would add Cat that at the last Southdown-biggy-men's-only-proper-target-fest I think I was but 1 clay a stand (even less) away from "the Elite". Mile for mile and cartridge for cartridge, I was rather pleased with my performance. For example, given that you must have 20 years longer in shooting and a cool 500,000 competition driven miles on me, I was rather pleased with the result. Indeed, you have paid very dearly for those extra birds and in fairness you have earnt them. The rest of the country however does not aspire, ney ought not to have to aspire, to such dizzy heights to get a clay shooting organisation representative of their needs.

Edited by Mungler

If y'wanna shoot with the big boys (like Catamong :yes: ) then ya gotta be a member of the CPSA.

Plus, the mag 'Pull' is a mildly entertaining publication to take up 30 mins reading and to scope out any shoots for grown ups. S'nice to be able to compare results with your fellow competitors on the CPSA website as well.

Is it a good thing for clay shooting that the CPSA only caters for the elite and not the majority? Discuss.

EDIT:

I would add Cat that at the last Southdown-biggy-men's-only-proper-target-fest I think I was but 1 clay a stand (even less) away from "the Elite". Mile for mile and cartridge for cartridge, I was rather pleased with my performance. For example, given that you must have 20 years longer in shooting and a cool 500,000 competition driven miles on me, I was rather pleased with the result. Indeed, you have paid very dearly for those extra birds and in fairness you have earnt them. The rest of the country however does not aspire, ney ought not to have to aspire, to such dizzy heights to get a clay shooting organisation representative of their needs.

I suppose it all depends (in true British style), whether we have to accept mediocrity in shooting as the norm..??

It's fair to say that I have put a lot of effort into my shooting over the last 500 years, that's probably why I'm such a lousy golfer. :yes:

I hope you'll get down to Southdown for Daves next big 200 birder in May, it will be an excellent shoot in terms of target quality. :lol:

Cat.

danser,

CPSA is OK if you want to progress your 'general' clay pigeon shooting, they have good coaches (but do seem to be loosing the support of shooting grounds) and if you are intersted in rankings and clay pigeon shooting is the only form of shooting you want to be involved in / support then I guess the CPSA is your best option as Clayman says.

Like it or not the CPSA is the recognised body in the UK for most disciplines - if some of you guys you want if change the way the CPSA is run etc then join them and make your voice heard!

If of course you are interested in the Olympic disciplines then the CPSA can't help you I am affraid. (or so I was told today by an Olympic official) Hmmm I wonder if the CPSA are supporting the Olympic bid for Bisley - and then the on going development / legacy for shooting post 2012.... sorry - distracted for a mo after a meeting with an Olympic Offical today....bad grumpy old me - sorry

Anyway - back to the point. If general shooting is you interest and you are not too bothered about rankings then the world is your oyster!

My guidance is this - join the association you think is the best for you (PLEASE join one of them) and enjoy your shooting.

My request to the rest of you guys is lets not bet bogged down in a 'my organisation is better than yours' type 'debate'

Very best wishes

David

I nominated Worsley as my "local" ground on my Clubman membership :lol:

Now, as Worsley are no longer allowed to hold CPSA registered shoots, because the whining, mincing, tarts that make up the "elite" of this sport, moaned, groaned, whined and bleated so much to the CPSA because they can't actually hit difficult targets, that the CPSA saw fit to take the ground off the list of hangouts for the elite :yes:

Mincing bunch of ******.

Anyway, does anybody know if I would be allowed to swap my "local" ground to Catton Hall for compo purposes? Catton is about the only ground I am likely to want to rub shoulders with these tits, otherwise I might have to stump up for full membership and that would never do :P

Edited by Chard

I suppose it all depends (in true British style), whether we have to accept mediocrity in shooting as the norm..??

That doesn't come across very well.

It's fair to say that I have put a lot of effort into my shooting over the last 500 years, that's probably why I'm such a lousy golfer. :yes:

Accordingly, whilst you may enjoy a round of golf with your chums at a weekend and may not play golf to an Olympic standard, does this mean that applying your logic (as above) your golfing mediocrity should not be entertained? :lol:

Now, as Worsley are no longer allowed to hold CPSA registered shoots, because the whining, mincing, tarts that make up the "elite" of this sport, moaned, groaned, whined and bleated so much to the CPSA because they can't actually hit difficult targets, that the CPSA saw fit to take the ground off the list of hangouts for the elite :yes:

Mincing bunch of ******.

Whoa.....hold on Chard, even your very own Tony H conceded that they'd screwed up big time, it wasn't just us whinging mob from darn sarf. :lol:

Cat.

Whoa.....hold on Chard, even your very own Tony H conceded that they'd screwed up big time, it wasn't just us whinging mob from darn sarf. :lol:

Cat.

Tony Hancock? He's brown bread isn't he? :P

I don't think they screwed up big time (I was there remember being a birds-only muppet) :P

There was a hiccup or two, but some people stiill manage to pull a trigger or two in difficult circumstances. :yes:

The ground is just "quirky". It's part of the charm of the place :D:lol: :lol:

Edited by Chard

I know Worsely (I wish they would fix that blessed road!) The guys there work very hard to put on shoots that will cater for all sorts.

The guys there are dedicated to shooting and are very welcoming to all in my experience. And yes, sadly David and the boys were messed about by the CPSA - but lets not hold that against the CPSA- these things happen!

Turning to competitive shooting (I admit I have NO interest at all in competition shooting for me) but in competitive shoots surely the targets should be testing! What is the point of putting on a competition where loads of shooters hit a 100 straight! Proves sod all - may massage an ego or two , but so what.

If we want to compete on an international scale we need to uncover, train , fund and support the best shooters - just like they do in just about every other country in the world so why here do we try to cater for the whining minority?

If you cant hit the targets then practice more or just accept that maybe you are not as good a shot as you think you are!

David

Mung

Not everyone has a plethora of shoots be they straw bale or registered on there doorstep, and therefore have little option to join up, as said before if you want to shoot competitively to a reasonably serious degree then IMO you have little option than to join up, if you want your ability to be measured on a recognized scale and have a benchmark to aim at or dare I say spur you on then again what other choice do you have?

Chard

Pipe down you "birds only" muppet, there's a shoe shining thread that needs you

TP

Mung

Not everyone has a plethora of shoots be they straw bale or registered on there doorstep, and therefore have little option to join up, as said before if you want to shoot competitively to a reasonably serious degree then IMO you have little option than to join up, if you want your ability to be measured on a recognized scale and have a benchmark to aim at or dare I say spur you on then again what other choice do you have?

Chard

Pipe down you "birds only" muppet, there's a shoe shining thread that needs you

TP

Shut your festering gob, yer *** :lol::P:D:lol::lol:

Anyway you've got Saaaaaarfdaaaaaaarn on your doorstep. You must be in the elite. :yes:

Ah ha - is this the nub of the problem with shooting in the UK.

Problem No 1

The 'serious' target shooters look down on the 'birds only' boys and thus potentially stifle new blood. Clay shooting is FUN - and there are all sorts of levels / types of shoot / types of shooting available - and we are all shooters so why the hell can't we live and let live and support each other?

Problem No 2

The CPSA do NOT support the Olympic disciplines. - there is thus no funding from target shooting 'representative' body to support Olympic shooters in the UK (it costs about £100k per year for on Olymipc shooter by the way to train etc)....so how the hell do we stand a chance of winning medals in the Olympics?

David

I agree with chard.

I use worsley. forget the road the people there are very helpful and I personally think they can do without the cpsa or any other financially focused organisations.

its about time we up north had our own competition shoots (NOT run by the cpsa.)

but an organisation run to further the helping and betterment of new shooters.

run without trying to make huge financial gains at our expense.

my own local club has some cracking clay shooters, (We hold challenge shoots and are very rarely beaten, at home or away)

our lads do not enter cpsa comp's purely for financial resons.

at our local club we encourage and coach new shooters totally free of charge,

this is done for the benefit of our future sport NOT FOR GAIN.

Edited by peter-peter