Why do you hunt?

LeeinVA

This is an intersting topic as we all have our views on this? If you go to the hunting pictures forum you will see i have very few trophy's? A Ram, an assortment of feathers and antlers.. I hunt for the meat, and i know of many bloated Yanks that are only after the trophy's.. Those arrogant fat ******** **** me off too :welcomeani:

I haven't shot anything yet, but when I do it will either be vermin control or for food. The problem I'm having, as a veggie, is finding someone to eat the food I kill.

Rhiannon

Wait, you're willing to kill something, but not eat it? ... I don't quiet understand, why are you a veggie in the first place?

Wait, you're willing to kill something, but not eat it? ... I don't quiet understand, why are you a veggie in the first place?

I dont't like meat, and personally find eating it a bit weird, and haven't eaten it since I was about 6. My mum has informed me that I didn't eat much meat before that age either. But I'm quite happy for other people to eat meat, preferably ethically sourced, such as hunted wild game or 'happy meat'. I don't see why I shouldn't get some enjoyment out of the hunt as long as the quarry is being eaten by someone or something.

And as a vegetable lover the last thing I want is for farmers' crops to be destroyed by vermin, and as an ex-rider I don't want someone's horse to get a broken leg stumbling over a rabbit hole, so I am looking forward to going and getting some bunnies.

Not all vegetarians are ill-informed band-wagon-jumping bleeding-heart bunny-lovers. The history of vegetarianism is quite interesting, but that's another thread and possibly a different website too! :welcomeani:

But I hope this thread stays on track and doesn't descend into the rights and wrongs of vegetarianism.

Rhiannon

Hey young lady.. What did bring you into shooting :good: I know how and why my daughter started..

I started off at the rifle range at the fairground when I would win coconuts for my schoolfriends. Then I didn't touch a gun again until last year when I had a go at shooting a black powder 12 bore at Ragley Hall Game Fair. Despite only hitting one clay out of 6 I was hooked, and I had another go at clay shooting at the West Midlands Game Fair, the instructor said I had a bit of talent and should have some more lessons. I also had a go at shooting a blunderbuss which was amazing - such a rush AND I hit my target. I booked a couple of lessons and I was absolutely hooked. That was three months ago . . . . .

So how and why did your daughter start shooting?

Rhiannon

The sport I guess.

I'm a nocturnal taxi driver and rarely about in winter daylight hours so wandering round farmland provides me with fresh air and a hobby on my nights off without disturbing anyone. Also away from traffic lights and the TV/PC too. I generally give some rabbits away to elderly friends - and have now found a butcher to take some off me at £1.50 each in the fur.

I started off at the rifle range at the fairground when I would win coconuts for my schoolfriends. Then I didn't touch a gun again until last year when I had a go at shooting a black powder 12 bore at Ragley Hall Game Fair. Despite only hitting one clay out of 6 I was hooked, and I had another go at clay shooting at the West Midlands Game Fair, the instructor said I had a bit of talent and should have some more lessons. I also had a go at shooting a blunderbuss which was amazing - such a rush AND I hit my target. I booked a couple of lessons and I was absolutely hooked. That was three months ago . . . . .

So how and why did your daughter start shooting?

Rhiannon

She wanted to spend more time with her daddy :good: And for that i am glad.. She is soon to be an Officer in the US Navy too :good:

I hunt for all of the above.

But here is what i think of hunting, Coming from South Africa, i was involved in hunting from a very early age.

Hunting is not only a way of life there but it is and properly here to, is really important for the conservation of our wild life.

My family did a lot of business with one of the national game reserves that do allow hunting-and ONE American trophy hunter spend in one day the same amount of money then 2000 day visitors.

With out controlled hunting, there would be no more rhinos and ellies left, and to much of one specie can directly or indirectly kill off other species.

Hunting to me is also being part of nature and is a more humane why of killing then say another wild animal attacking it for food.

So weather you you hunt for food, for trophy or fun if its controlled and try not to waste the dead animal then nobody should be against it.

Regards Chris.