New Knife

mark_mjs93

Anything made by Buck, Puma, Sog or Fallkniven will be good. Opinel is a good cheap option that will take an amazing edge. Those that HenryD pointed you towards are good for holding an edge, but the steel can be brittle and I've snapped the tip off of a couple. They're good as long as you don't work them too hard!

If I had to advise you to buy one small sheath knife it would be the Fallkniven F1. They are razor sharp and almost bullet proof. I can't break mine no matter how hard I try! The blade profile is also quite good for skinning and gutting.

http://www.fallkniven.com/a1f1/f1_en.htm

Get a frost mora knife or the frost clipper, cost less than a tenner for the one with the grippy handle.

I prefer the carbon steen blade but they do stainless, you can get the carbon blade sharp enough on a waterstone to shave with

Like this one here

I also have a hand made copy of the ray mears bushcraft knife but I use the cheaper knife much more.

A friend bought me a "Kershaw" knife with a blade and a saw , I have had it over 20 years and use it almost daily ,

In fact its in front of me now! , its been a super piece of gear , I suppose there is far better now , but this has served me well .

I dont oversharpen it , just a light stone to keep it right , itsnot worn at all , and the blade is still good and firm in the " I " shaped housing , it has a rubber handle and floats , with a red dot on the handle its not bad to spot ,

POW!

As above... the best blade I have owned is a Fällkniven F1, You can get a blank blade for just over £60 and make your own handle if you have a few tools and DIY skills. I'm doing one in stabilised grey curly birch at the moment. Once you've factored in a sheath though, it is cheaper to buy a standard model.

Have a look on the Attleborough Accessories website, they stock a huge range of knives. As said previously I own and use the Brusletto Falken (£43.07 on AA) I think it is a wonderful bit of kit, cannot reccomend it highly enough.

post-12861-1232292928.jpg

You can also get the kit for the same knife there too, @ £30 and it includes the sheath, great fun to make :lol:

Something I've just thought. Why a fixed blade? The knife I carry in the field now is a Victorinox swiss army type knife. Not one with loads of functions, just a large locking blade and a saw. It's good for skinning small stuff, and my main idea was that when I get my next Deer the saw should be man enough to get me into the rib cage :lol:

Yet to be tested, but I'm hoping it will work. Because the knife is so small and light weight it will be one less thing to carry!

well i would like a fixed blade because of the fact that i already have 2 lock knives, 1 is very good and sturdy, and that i do use in the field, but i also have a crappy little lock knive that closes quickly has a crappy blade and it closes on its own accord and that can get very frustrating, i would like to get a fixed blade as i find they are stronger (no hinges to get loose) easier to maintain... and i like them :yes:

but recomend fixed blade or lock knives either way i take alook at them, any links photos or whatever that you can recomend please post thanks..

Happy shooting

Mark...

:lol: