Canon eos 450d camera

deadeye ive

Hi deadeye ive.

I have a eos 450d.

Its a really good camera but its very difficult to get good shots in low light conditions, especially if your going to use it when you go out shooting.

I don`t want to put you of it, i will not get rid of mine soon, since it is good but the problems in the low light can become frustrating.

Its just worth remembering.

try amazon - If you want SLR go for either a 400D or even better a 5D. If your looking for something a lot more versitile and a lot more rugged and easy to carry then why not look at a Canon powershot G9 - Its not an SLR but it does have an impressive array of features incuding (most of the SLR selectable features) a super tuff and lightweight magnesium body and its got a 12mega pixel resolution and a 6x optical zoom

Its just a thought - I was sold on an SLR (as thats all I've ever had) but to be honest for us 'non professionals' who are not going to use the camera's functions to the full potential the G9 is such a better option - all round. It aint cheap though at around £290

Hi newport shooter

thanks for the advice

I actually have a good fuji aim and click digital camera but from looking at some photo's that were brought out on new years eve there was no contest against the 35mm canon eos I had previously been using for quality and character.

Its the attraction of all the fidling around is what i want to get back into . :angry:

The built in flash is just for a fill in flash during the day time like when the sun is from behind and your face for example is darkened by the shade. its mostly to do with the light gathering quality, the CMOS censer.

Some slr accessories should still be fine, but not all may work, not to sure on that tho.

If you have the cash why don`t you go for the 5d, the 4d is the top of the consumer range but the 5d is well into the prosumer range.

Regards Chris.

Hi deadeye ive.

I have a eos 450d.

Its a really good camera but its very difficult to get good shots in low light conditions, especially if your going to use it when you go out shooting.

I don`t want to put you of it, i will not get rid of mine soon, since it is good but the problems in the low light can become frustrating.

Its just worth remembering.

Sounds to me like this is a problem with the lens. Is it a kit lens you are using?

I have both the EOS 5D as my main camera, and also the EOS 400D as a back up. To be honest, for the level I shoot at, the 400D is more than adequate!

With regards your old EOS gear, as long as the lens fittings are EF then they will fit the modern Canon SLR's. The 400D (and I suspect the 450D) are designed for the EF-S fitting, which is designed specifically for digital, but will accept the EF mount also (there are two seperate dots, one red and one white, for fitting the lenses). The reciprocal is not true however (an EF-S lens will not fit an EF mount)

ATB,

Jonno.

I should probably also add that the 5D uses a full frame sensor, whereas the 400D uses the CMOS which causes the whole 1.6x focal length thing!

Edited by Jonno243

If your sure your after an SLR (another topic in itself) then the 450d is probably one of the pick of the bunch (for hobby level), to say it has poor low light performance is im affraid to say somewhat of a sweeping comment. With SLR's the low light performance is mainly governed by two things, firstly the high ISO noise performance, and secondly the performance of the lense (quality of glass and maximum aperature), in my experiance (having owned the 400d and now 40d) the high iso performance is OK, you would need to be looking at a 'pro consumer' model to get better noise reduction, and the glass they put on canon is ok. The kit lense (assuming its the 17mm IS model, isnt a bad piece of glass, its cheap and does the job) for low light performance in a lense drop me a PM and i can make you some recomendations.

Your EOS lenses should work fine with the 450d.

My advice would be to not rule out the nikon range and also Sony. I am a Canon user, always will be, but this is because of the money i have tied up in canon fit glass. IMHO Nikons new bodies are better than Canons.

If you want to chat your welcome to call me if you still have my number, or drop me a PM

I use this site to get the lowest prices for bodies and lenses http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/

Bare in mind canon cashback, if they are currently running anything.

And use 7dayshop for accessories.

Mate, have a lok at the G9 - it has all the ***** and buttons of the SLR (almost exactly the same) has a better resolution (ok the same) as the 5D and is much more carry'able.... with regard to the fiddlybits - I hear exactly what your saying, as I said I was exactly the same (wanted all the fine adjustments) but to be honest the G9 has nearly all of them and in reality you won't use half of them anyway.

The main selling point for me was the robust design of the unit - it's allegedly the standby camera the pros 'keep in their pocket'. It aint an SLR (and you are very limited in the ammount of lens' you can screw on to the front - although there is provision for a limited ammount of lens attachment - but for everyday (high resolution) photography I really would go for the G9

At least have a look next time you go to the camera shop.

The built in flash is just for a fill in flash during the day time like when the sun is from behind and your face for example is darkened by the shade. its mostly to do with the light gathering quality, the CMOS censer.

Some slr accessories should still be fine, but not all may work, not to sure on that tho.

If you have the cash why don`t you go for the 5d, the 4d is the top of the consumer range but the 5d is well into the prosumer range.

Regards Chris.

Not sure i agree, also suspect you mean 40d however the 5d mkII and 50d are now the newer models. Buying full frame is not really worth it for what he is after. Just means your going to need expensive glass for longer length lenses. The crop sensors will do most of us 'hobbyists' fine.

The flash on the camera is fine for what you would use a compact camera to do. I have used mine at distances of 50yards plus on occasions (will post example).

You will get your own opinon on most of these things with experiance (i suspect you already have your own opinions on many if your coming from 35mm)

Also bare in mind you dont really need all these Mega pixels, 8 is more than enough for anyone.

If your sure your after an SLR (another topic in itself) then the 450d is probably one of the pick of the bunch (for hobby level), to say it has poor low light performance is im affraid to say somewhat of a sweeping comment. With SLR's the low light performance is mainly governed by two things, firstly the high ISO noise performance, and secondly the performance of the lense (quality of glass and maximum aperature), in my experiance (having owned the 400d and now 40d) the high iso performance is OK, you would need to be looking at a 'pro consumer' model to get better noise reduction, and the glass they put on canon is ok. The kit lense (assuming its the 17mm IS model, isnt a bad piece of glass, its cheap and does the job) for low light performance in a lense drop me a PM and i can make you some recomendations.

Your EOS lenses should work fine with the 450d.

My advice would be to not rule out the nikon range and also Sony. I am a Canon user, always will be, but this is because of the money i have tied up in canon fit glass. IMHO Nikons new bodies are better than Canons.

If you want to chat your welcome to call me if you still have my number, or drop me a PMI use this site to get the lowest prices for bodies and lenses http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/

Bare in mind canon cashback, if they are currently running anything.

And use 7dayshop for accessories.

Will do Nick ,i still have your number buddy ??? .

Chaps

Wow never knew there was so many camera buffs on here and all comments and advice is most welcome .Haven't got 5d money i'm afraid but the G9 or G10 for that matter do look tempting but i'm not sure about the lack of options concerning the zoom lenses.

Sony and Nikon not to mention the fuji ranges all look good ..........choices eh! :good:

:blink:

Is the Sony alpha A350 any good in comparison to the 450D?

The sonys a very nice, I have the use of my old mans a700, which ive used as a backup camera many times. The only disadvantage ive found is the price and range of glass for them isnt as good as nikon or canon. Other than that i personally think they are excellent. Lots of people are far too up-themselves about what ever brand they own to admit another company produces a good product.

The 350 is their high end hobby camera and would be similar in many aspects to the 450d

The only catch ive found with sony is that the body Image stabilisation doesnt allow you to see how it is effecting the image as the stabilisation works on the sensor not lense. But this is just a tiny thing.