terrier training

Vermin Dropper

Vermin Dropper:

Not my area of knowledge as we are not allowed to use ferrets on rabbits over here.......But I would suggest that you socialize the terrier with the ferrets as often as possible in a controled situation so that he becomes use to them and accepts them. This also means that you introduce the ferrets and terrier in a manner that the dog cannot hurt the ferrets, and has no chance of grabbing them....I would think that you want him so use to being with the ferrets that he totally ignores them.....As I say not something that I have experiance with so others may prove me wrong.....NTTF

Thanks NTTF,

that would go without saying for me (the interaction between terrier and ferrets) I was thinking of using a muzzle at first to be on the safe side,

it was the marking training I am at a loss on, looks like a lot more google searching and a trip to the book shop (amazon) and the library,

Cheers, Leigh.

A very difficult one to put on paper VD .... :*)

Apologies for asking so many questions :lol:

In my experience a lurcher is better than a terrier but .. are you specific on terrier or do you have an open mind ??

Do you have a terrier or are you about to purchase a pup ??

What breed (or cross) are you looking to train ??

Certain breeds do what terriers are supposed to do and some are a little laid back on the outright aggression, what type are you after ??

Terriers are very difficult to train for anything, their nature is channeled in one direction and you have to harness that to suit your needs ..

Any dog can be taught to sit etc. and walk to heal, .. , have you ever seen a terrier off it's lead ?? :( :lol:

The short answer in reality is that you don't train the dog .. it trains itself with experience.

I can't add anything to NTTF's advice .. spot on :lol:

For marking the buries a small whippet cross lurcher, which wont dig, is a far better option and it stands a great chance of catching any bunnies that bolt. Also lurchers are ferret friendly ;)

A terrier has very little chance of catching bolting bunnies, it will chase but never outrun. The knock on, due to frustration, is for the terrier to be too close to the bolt hole or start digging :lol: :lol:

Good luck and keep us informed how the terrier training goes :D:D

To clear up some of your questions.....

I don't have a terrier (at the moment) and I'm not just intent on getting a specific type.

I was thinking of a fox terrier, but I am really undecided. To be honest I am still undecided weather to plump for a terrier or a gun dog, I don't think the Mrs would go for a lurcher, (either too big or too ugly she reckons, sorry boys) on the other hand what about a terrier/whippet cross??

I'm just bloody confusing myself now, :lol:;) , still a lot of thinking about it to do, I was just after general advice and any tips/info,

Cheers, Leigh.

VD, ive tried to think of places to start,

the complete jack russell- james mckay(the ferret bloke) hes got a section on training, may be good as he comes from a ferreting background.

all the books i have on terriers concentrate on fox control but there is another book - the traditional working terrier -sean frain- more about breed selection, uses etc.a good starter book.

anything by Dr Brain plummer cos what he didnt know about terriers wasnt worth knowing. lastly there is a site called earth dog running dog, that deal with anything lurcher/terrier related and they have a forum..you could ask there.

earth dog running dog

we somtimes use a nuttall patterdale for marking, be he's more keen on the fox side of things, but they can make brilliant companions..and i couldnt fault you on choosing a bedlington wippet cross, great dog,loyal and loving, and has the additional benafit of bieng able to chase all the rabbits that come out of those holes you can never find :lol: ....

hope this helps regards Coney

I dont really now if you can train a dog to mark some do it, some dont. But having said that if you have the right circumstances i think most dogs will mark.

VD i wont go into the ferret aspect of your question because as usual NTTF has covered that.

The way i have seen dogs teaching themselves to mark is for them first to see a rabbit going to ground. Then when they smell the hole they get the idea that the scent they can smell means that there is something at home. So if you take the senario that the dog see's a rabbit going to ground let him sniff at the hole but not dig or whine. Then lead the dog away from the hole and take him to some unoccupied warrens and let him sniff there. he should show no intrest. Then say an hour later take him back to the down wind side of the warren with the rabbit in and encourage him to smell the holes. With any luck he should be able to tell the differance in the scent that is comming from the holes.

Dont expect miricles this may take weeks or even months for him to get the idea, but more often than not they cotton on pretty quick. This is not a definitive way of doing things just a way i have used in the past to help dogs teach themselves to mark.

PS its up to you to learn how the dog marks nearly all dogs have a differant way of marking, my mates gwp her tail goes rigid if there is a rabbit at home my terrier goes and sits on top of the warren. I had a terrier once that used to look at the hole then look at me and her head would go back and fo looking at the hole then at me.