hares

sapper063

ive been looking on basc website about hares. still baffled can anyone translate into simple meaning

1/ cant sell hares beetween march an july

2/ i can shoot them with farmers permission but not on sundays or xmas day

3/then new laws came out in august

please explain in laymens terms please?

It is a bit complex - hares are ground game, so can be treated like rabbit in that respect in terms of who can shoot / take them - Occupier , members of his household resident on the land in his occupation, persons in his ordinary service on such land, and any one other person bona fide employed by him for reward in the taking and destruction of ground game. Permission must be in writing. But as game they are restricted to no shooting on Sunday & Christmas day as you say

There are further restrictions on moorland and unenclosed land - In the case of moorlands, and unenclosed lands (not arable lands), the occupier and the persons authorised by him can take hares only from the eleventh of December to the thirty-first day of March in the next year, both inclusive.

This provision does not apply to detached portions of moorlands or unenclosed lands adjoining arable lands, where the detached portions of moorlands or unenclosed lands are less than twenty-five acres.

That is it in a nutshell - as far as i can tell, but I will double check with my conservation & land management team and confirm, but if you are still not sure then please let me know - happy to help if I can

David

I am not aware of any change in the law. Hare shoots are common at the end of the game-shooting season, but they are timed to fall before the 1st March threshold for dealing in hare carcases. So fire away in early-March if you wish, if you are taking them only for your own pot.

I shoot hares throughout the year, particularly over emerging sugar beet in early-summer, drilled maize and summer stubbles.

I appreciate the damage they can do, but are brown hare numbers down in your area? We have shot a quarter of last years number (Norfolk and Suffolk). Granted, a few of our guns have voluntarily said they won't take them because they fear for the longer term. After the coursing ban hares were tolerated but the West Norfolk farms seem to be "having them out", as their sporting value has clearly fallen. I know of a N Norfolk shoot that would comfortably shoot 200 head in a day, but 60 were returned recently. It's possible to get £6 a sally at the moment, so the demand is coming from somewhere. I'm a bit worried about their future.

Edited by Whitebridges

Our cousins over the water have always had a taste for Sally. Are the numbers down on their side of the pond?

Views appreciated on ther recent price rise, i.e. export market. Cheers lads.

There seems to be restraint and i'm not going to shoot any this year. They are superb eating though..... :good:

Edited by Whitebridges