Hawke Binoculars

Jason13

How much are you looking to pay? £125 ish for the standard 8 x 40 or £40 ish for the compact range.

As you all know I do alot of bird watching and I have said before that Binocular Quality can vary enormously.

I am afraid to say I have several pairs of Bins for various uses ( please dont tell the wife) and I have recently purchased a further pair of Seben 7 x 50 R/A Diamond Line binoculars from seben visit ebay and search under Sporting goods/ Hunting/ Binoculars. The quality is excellent for bottom end binoculars and the lens system is quite brilliant for the money. You should be able to get them for sub £100.00

If you are looking at the Denben optics at £125.00 also consider the Simmonds Aetec 8 x 50 at £75.00 from www.uttings.com. I also have a pair of these and they are very good.

I would advise you to avoid compact bimoculars the only real benefit of them is that they are small. 7 or 8 mag x 42 or 50 mm objective lens is the best all round size to go for or 10 x mag if you have a good shake free hand. Magnification above this will require a tripod and make them virtually unuseable in the field

FM.

I have a cheap (£20) pair of 10x25 rubber coated Hawke bins that I keep in my work coat on the understanding that I don't mind getting them scratched and dirty for that sort of money. They are by no means bad bins but neither are they anything more than a quick pair to hand - I wouldn't go out birding or stalking and take them with me. You pays your money...........

This is quite a good thread on the subject.

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/ind...5&hl=binoculars

If you want to tell a pigeon from a crow a mile away , then a cheap pair of binoculars are fine.

If you want to tell what sex the pigeon is , buy on of FishermanMike's recommendations. ;):D:D

If you can't tell a pigeon from a crow from a mile away you might as well give up and go to watch football. :lol::lol:

Seriously though there are some Bins on the auction list at Southams (17th March).

I use a pair of Zeiss that used to belong to my great uncle, they seem very good,

I'm not a "twitcher" so do find a pair of smaller bins can be handy in with the pigeon gear, don't want to be dragging an onkin gurt pair of roof prisms about with all the other stuff. (Sory to disagree slightly on this C).

Have another pair in my fishing bag, they led me to catch several 20 lb pike which I located by watching tiny surface disturbances at long range which I wouldn't have seen with the naked eye.