Best shots

gibby

The best shot of all time for me was when Julian ***** scored against Manchester United at Upton park in the mid 80,s The bolt from 30 yards never got more than 4 or 5 feet off the ground and took the back out of the net.

FM..

A very happy Hammer. :)<_<

Oh and there was also the 3 that Sir Geoff shot in 66 to enable West ham to win the World Cup for us English

• 2 years later...

my best shot was one day when i was in my bedroom and saw a magpie go by i said to myself hes going into the shed so of i went down and surely i heard him cackling i shouted and before i knew it i had shot my first double magpies shot ill never forget it b d way they were two seperate shots!!!!!!!!! :good:

My most memorable ,and no one saw it!, was when I was about 13 and shooting a flying woodpigeon that came directly over the top of me at about 20ft......... with a Webley mk3 .22 air rifle with iron sights. It took the pellet at the top of the breast and came down stone dead.

Another was when we were out decoying and shooting a pigeon at a great height and it fell vertically onto the roof of my Dads car parked behind the hedge, making a dent, he was none too pleased that day. :good:

:good: D2D

I'd say my luckiest shot was taking a woodie at about 15m with a .177 air pistol. I got it in the head and was quite surprised as it's head was hidden from direct line of sight behind a branch. I can only assume that the pellet looped over the branch and got it. Bloody stupid shot really as it was about 8m up in the tree.

Other best shot was the other week. Me and the GF were out for a walk and saw a group of lads and lasses on a bridge throwing stones at a big cast iron pipe about 10m away; none of them were getting it. As we crossed the bridge, I picked up a couple of stones thinking it would be a laugh to have a couple of goes whilst walking past. First shot was whilst I was still walking and gets it square in the middle, so I carried on walking and threw the other stone back onto the bridge. The GF said she's never seen me look so smug.

Then there was the time I did a smiley face with 10 rounds of 5.56 NATO on the 100m range... The bloke in charge never forgave me for that.

Not had any memorable shots with a 12b yet, but I plan to.

I made dozens of wicked shots that would now be deemed irresponsible when I was much younger and shot every single day of the week at work. Wouldn't dream of it now.

My best shot was in 1987 as a teenage farm worker. I shot a really old knarly buck rabbit from a witnessed 68 yards in the head (first shot) with a standard Webley Vulcan air rifle in .22 with a 4x32 Kassnar scope and looaads of holdover.

My other most memorable shots were 2 years ago when I shot 4 magpies with 4 shots at an estimated 35/40 yards off the roof of the barn with a Webley Axor.

I haven't got the nerve to post some of the other shots that I made in my youth with other guns. I was young and stupid without hind sight and experience.

It does make you realise though that the often stated capabilities of most guns is not even close to the mark, particularly that of air rifles.

I'm in my late 30s now though and have the knowledge and experience to know not to push it and take silly risky shots with no guarantees of success and take a pretty dim view of those people who do.

leeboy

My best/luckyest shot would have to be my first goose. I was walking up rabbits with my old aya yeoman and after not much success i sat down for a rest. I herd the unmistacable call of pinkfeet and saw four of them flying about 300yrds of a way. i began calling and watched them starting to head for me. i waited untill the were almost over me-at about 50yrds. i jumped up and swung threw the leader and squeased the trigger to my serprize i brought dow the bird behind it!!!! stone dead. just shows how much lead geese need!!!

i also rember bringing down 3 widgeon with one shot with the same gun-tacken on the foreshore

My best shot was a woodie over the rotary at a distance of 15 yards- maybe have been as much as 20- shooting open choke with a 50g No 6 homeload in shotsize 7.5

Were you blindfolded or shooting from the hip or something ?

Leeboy

Probably when i was doing some walked up rough shooting, i spooked a couple of pigeons in the distance which i didnt see, they came directly over my head at 45 yards up at great speed, i gave one a hell of alot of lead, took the shot and from the time the gun went bang till the puff of feathers 1-2 seconds must have passed taking him tubling down into a bush stone dead...

Another one was in a hide decoying, you know when you get them superfast pigeons flying over your hide from behind you flying with the wind (yes you will know how fast they travel) well i took one of these down after seeing it very late, he must have been about 20 yards out until i reacted!! he again was out at about 40 yards..

when I was about 12, wandering along throwing stones a rabbit bolted just a few yards away so a stone went it's way, as hard as I could, just as it reached a bush, the "thud" sounded different to what I expected and on investigation one dead/unconsious bunny! lol

seeing how an original 75 target air rifle I'd just bought grouped, had the target pinned to an old carpet tile (unknown to me the lead collected in a big blob), bang - whizz - duff! caught the pellet in my lips and got a thick lip for my efforts! :D

both strange but true :)