a bit worried

liamlumsden

i hav not fired a rifle in a long time and dnt no any one that has a FAC and i am worried that the police force may not grant me it for this reason i have been doing alot of reading of police forces not granting fac's coz of people needing mentors and ect..... i do hold a sgc i hope this may give me a chance for the FAD to understand i do no about health and saftey but i cant help been worried about it i really want my fac i have been planning on have this for along time and abit worried about a little thing like this holding me back

any comments would be helpful on what you think about this

thanks liam

EDIT: I should have looked at your other posts before replying.

If you have sufficient land available why not invite some local from here to accompany you for a few days or nights - you can then look the FLO in the eye and truthfully declare you have been out with someone a few times recently and have a good idea of whats safe or unsafe. If you don't feel you can trust a local shooter not to nick your permission invite someone from further away - maybe on a swaps basis.

Edited by Dave-G

What about if you are a target shooter and will join a lcub do you still need a mentor?

There is no requirement for a mentor if you join a H.O Approved gun club. However, most good gun clubs will appoint a trained/competant member to guide you for a while. There is a legal requirement for a probabtionary period before you can become a full member and then apply for your FAC. The legal minumum probationary period is currently 3 months.

As Liam has already put in an FAC application, it sounds like it is a sporting application, rather than a target shooting application.

There is, as far as i know, no LEGAL need for a mentor. It is, however, good practice to do so and most licensing authorities seem to be promoting it now.

i have atleast 750 - 1000 ah coz i have 4 farms and then i hav a farm in scotland with a good amount of land

i am putting in ma FAC for a 22lr

sorry it took so long to write back been busy

I reckon you will be fine mate, have you sent it yet ? If not add a 17HMR and mod to the ticket, even if you don't want one, you can do a 1for1 variation in the future then and have a fox or deer rifle added to your ticket :P

For a rimfire my FEO told me I don't need to nominate a mentor but for a centrefire I do :good: I just applied for a 243 for fox and put down for my friend to be my mentor who already has a 243 and does deer stalking :P

I was told 30 acres was the minimum so you should have no problem.

The FLO was happy that I had been shooting on the same permission with an air rifle for over a year and that was enough for him.

dont be shy to mention the air rifle - they do take it seriously - they are the police, not the ignorant public :P

In my experience a 22lr was very easy to get, and is a foot in the door for something bigger later :P

simple steps like having the right storage for ammo might help, having membership of a shooting organisation such as the BASC and its £10,000,000 liability insurance will also go a long way.

Best of luck - providing your record is clean i cant see you having a problem! :good:

Edited by fo5ter

Hi all,

Appologies for hijacking the tread but ive just read this

There is no requirement for a mentor if you join a H.O Approved gun club. However, most good gun clubs will appoint a trained/competant member to guide you for a while. There is a legal requirement for a probabtionary period before you can become a full member and then apply for your FAC. The legal minumum probationary period is currently 3 months.

My question is, if you are granted an FAC on the basis of being a full member of a HO approved target shooting club then secure permission to shoot over a local farmers land do you have to apply for a new FAC ?

Rgds

Dave

Hi all,

Appologies for hijacking the tread but ive just read this

My question is, if you are granted an FAC on the basis of being a full member of a HO approved target shooting club then secure permission to shoot over a local farmers land do you have to apply for a new FAC ?

Rgds

Dave

NO!

If you are a member of a H.O Club you will have a condition on your FAC stating that the firearms it contains must be used for target shooting at xxxxxx and other approved ranges (the exact wording can, and does, change betwen different licensing authorities).

When you gain permission to shoot over some land you can either

1, apply for more firearms (always the best option :good: ) or

2, apply for "change of use" for some of the ones you already have.

When you decide which one to do, fill out another form 101 (the one you applied for your FAC on initially) and state either a new reason for owning the ones you have (free), or pay the £26 variation fee and add some new ones. Again, in the "intended use" section you need to put pest/vermin/sporting whatever you like. You should also add zeroing on approved ranges

On your first application to have firearms over land you will have to provide proof of permission and it will be added to your FAC as a condition. Once you have been shooting for a while, you will not have the name of the land on your FAC and you also will lose the "any land deemed suitable for this calibre by the local chief of police"

A few more years down the line you get what used to be called an "open ticket" where you can use any firearms on the certificate, over any land you deem fit (with verbal permission) and on any approved ranges

Any more questions, general or specific, feel free to PM me

hi ive just had my visit this afternoon from the FLO ive gone for .17hmr,.22 and .222 had no problems at all no mentor needed .your land should be fine ive 800acres as long as you have the reason for the calibre wanted .1 thing he did say was do not go for too many calibres as lots of people do and dont fill ther ticket slots for years .dont forget moderators for each calibre :(