When is a new gun not a new gun

cap1len

hi all

i went down to my local gun store today with the intention of buying a nice shiny new gun. :yes:

having found the gun i wanted checked the serial no. and found that it was manufactured in 2006

the guy in the shop assures me that the gun is brand new and they have had it in stock for about 6 months.

i would have expected it to have had a 2008 serial no.?

is this normal as i have been looking on guntrader and their are other supposeed new guns with old serial no.

as well. the gun a i was looking at was a browning not sure if this makes a difference.

he is not charging 2006 price for the gun that is for sure

len

Edited by cap1len

correct the serial no is the date of maufacture.

trouble is when you come to resell to a dealer,

they date the gun from the serial no. you have it for 6 months they think its 3 years old.

how do you tell the date by the serial number ? :yes:

when the prices go up the go up straight away, make him a bid based on the 2006 price,

If you didnt already know this was a 2006 gun i bet he would be telling you its fresh stock & the price has gone up cos of the strong euro, lol

how do you tell the date by the serial number ? :yes:

browning use the last 2 letters

berretta and some other italian manufacturers also use 2 letters in a rectangle to date guns

google how to date my shotgun for more info or try cabelas website

Edited by cap1len

when the prices go up the go up straight away, make him a bid based on the 2006 price,

If you didnt already know this was a 2006 gun i bet he would be telling you its fresh stock & the price has gone up cos of the strong euro, lol

Perhaps he'll back date the warranty for you as well.

can you tell me when this gun was made then ser NO A227416 :yes::oops:

i would suggest googling how old is my (insert make) or contact the importer/distributor/retailer

however they will need to know who the manufacturer is as well as the serial no.

New - essentially means unused.

Just because a gun was made in the factory in 2006, does not mean to say it has been with the dealer that long. .

The warranty will run from the date of sale to the end user, so as long as the end user is happy with the gun spec and price, the "serial" age is not overly relevant.

It will make a difference if its a "new" old model. This happens with cars too, just as the new model is about to be released - at a new higher spec and price, a bundle of the old model find their way out into retailers to clear the end of production. These should be a bit cheaper than they were when they were current production, or sometimes they have extra enhancement for the sale price, ie hard case for free / extended warranty, or are a "limited edition" with some bells and whistles added, etc.

Parallels to this practice are in all trades - Richer Sounds selling new end of production Hi-Fi; Morgan computers doing the same with PCs etc.

If its a new gun, but superceded model, go for a better price or some extras thrown in. It may make a difference to ultimate resale value if you sell in the short to medium term, but if you are buying a gun to keep, getting the older one at a value price may be sensible.