Telescopic sight

old rooster

After a bit of advice: Coming up to my 50th birthday and I've been asked by family what I want. Quite fancy a decent scope for the precharged so want to know if any of you have experience of the higher magnification scopes, something like an 8 - 18 with decent size object lens (at least 50mm) for good light gathering.

What style of reticule is best for hunting and FT use ?. Is there a sensible way of rangefinding with the scope so that compensation for distance can be made ? Don't really want one with the big wheel on the side as they look a bit cumbersome for hunting.

Any advice on models and best places to get a good price appreciated.

Rangefinding with a scope doesn't really become practical until the magnification gets pretty high. 32 mag being a realistic minimum for any level of accuracy. You can get a ball park idea with lower magnification but thats all.

If your interested in hunting and competative shooting then aiming for a rifle that will hunt and do HFT is a much more realistic proposition as the scope requirements are very similar. FT is really the province of the high mag sidewheel scope for any chance of success and somewhat unweildy on a hunting gun.

Regards

Tony

Thanks for that Tony, pretty much what I'd expected re. the scope with the big wheel. My main use is for rabbit shooting as I do a fair amount of that and would just like a better scope, higher magnification and better light gathering. Don't want to buy extra features that won't be of real benefit.

I use a simmons whitetail classic 6.5x20x50 been more than happy with it since I ditched my airmax!! good at dusk, good with my lamp etc I didnt fancy shelling out £600 notes on the "top names" use 14 mag for bunnies no probs with focus and range, though I do know my land and tend to set up at the "right" distance, now Im not into FT and all the technicallities of range etc etc , all I know is I now have no probs with constant rezeroing etc etc, and if the bunnies head is in the scope she falls over when you squeeze the trigger! have a look on bbs for some good "buys"

cheers keith

have a look here

the bushnell banner 4-12x40 @£89 has amazing optics, i just sold my simmons aetec ir (£300 worth) and kept the bushnell, also the simmons pro air @ £130 is pretty damm good. they give you free butler creek flip ups which you could sell for a tenner to make things even sweeter.

HTH hammond :sly:

one here if you fancy a bid

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...7140168830&rd=1

cheers keith

Thanks Keith,

Not sure how much they should be, put a bid of £70 on but it wasn't enough. Simmons are a good make aren't they ?

I'm really after a sight with large (50-55mm) object lens as me poor old peepers ain't wot they used to be. There's a fair few pigeons flying about that shouldn't be from this afternoon that can confirm that. :sly::lol:

have a look here

the bushnell banner 4-12x40 @£89 has amazing optics, i just sold my simmons aetec ir (£300 worth) and kept the bushnell, also the simmons pro air @ £130 is pretty damm good. they give you free butler creek flip ups which you could sell for a tenner to make things even sweeter.

Thanks for that Mark

the bushnell banner 4-12x40 @£89 has amazing optics...

The Bushnell Legend 5-15x40 is well worth a look too, amazing clear and bright image for a 40mm scope. Far better than many 50mm scopes IMO. Mil dot and PA. Next range up from the banner. Daystate sell them for £200 or you can import yourself from the US for around £140~£150 all duties paid.

Tony

Cant go wrong with any of the below

Bushnell Legend 5-15x40

Simmons Aetec 3.8-12x44

Simmons Aetec 2.8-10 x 44

AGS/Leapers SWAT 4-16 x 56

All easy to get hold of one way or another. Probably go for the Leapers as it is so cheap to import.

Id take any of these over a Simmons WTC

All the best

Rooster, I use a Simmons 3-9X50 on my rimfire, but tend to leave it on 6X power. This seems a good combination for shots out to @ 60 yds.

As for going onto that airgun site………do so at your own peril. Some of the eejits on that site are absolutely horrendous when it comes to trolling through the forums. :sly::lol::lol::lol::lol::)

G.M.

If you do a search on www.ebay.com

Some of the scope retailers in the states are actually turning to ebay to sell. Some have dedicated ebay shops, often very competetive

failing that you have

https://www.dnrsports.net

http://www.wingsupply.com

http://www.gamaliel.com/

www.opticsplanet.com

In the UK

http://www.opticswarehouse.com

are fairly competetive

Im sure people on here will furnish you with many more

You may find that its a decent scope, id put money on it not being an official Tasco product though.

Tasco dont offer a 6-24x50 according to their website.

If you check the seller feedback you will probably find out if it is decent or not.

By the look of it id say its a scope with Tasco printed on it, rather than actually being an official Tasco product.

Its probably a decent scope, made to a very similar specification as most of the other 6-24 mag scopes that are on the market, possibly from exactly the same Chinese factory.

Id personally have a good look at the sellers feedback though.

Edited by donkeymagic

been having a mooch at the sellers feedback!! hes got some negative but a LOT of positive as for the scope look on page 3 of his feedback one bloke bought another so it cant be bad? and it seems to be a 6x24x50 gave the scope a thumbs up then again so did another guy who bought a 4x40 fo 3.99 yep 3.99 not sure I would risk £62 (includes post costs)

cheers Keith

Huuummmm

Well the sellers feedback checks out, that doesnt always mean that the scope is any good.

It would be nice to know what reticle it is for a start.

No adjustable parallax or objectivce on this one by the looks of it, on the fake Tasco i think there was.

It looks like its unbranded. Its the only problem, you wont be able to find a review on it nor anybody that will reccomend it. You could try tracing the seller feedback, looking for transactions invloving this particular scope and then ask the buyer what they make of it.

I dont recognise it personally, i certainly dont know of it being sold under a brand name. It does although look a little like some of the David Nickerson 'Optik' range.

That said, the same with the fake Tasco, it could be a perfectly decent scope.

Here is a transcript of the messages to and from YanTak Leung selling sights on ebay, might be of interest:

I just want to know if they are genuine Tasco sights that YOU are selling. I'd buy one if it was genuine but I'd be so angry if it was rubbish that I'd have to pay the air fare to come visit you and stuff it up your ****.

-----Original Message-----

Sent: 16 March 2005 09:01

Subject: RE: Question from eBay Member

Just a crazy people selling faulty items but sometimes you really can't avoid that some items is faulty without your knowing it.

ducatiman@btconnect.com> wrote:

So why do you list fake items ?, if it's a good quality just sell it as what it really is.

Are they high quality or faulty ?

-----Original Message-----

Sent: 15 March 2005 16:49

To: ducatiman@btconnect.com

Subject: Re: Question from eBay Member

Yes you are right so you better don't buy from us because this is cheap. Thank you.

Dear hk001888,

Are these scopes genuine Tasco :)?? I'm not buying a cheap fake. Some of the feedback suggests that they are either faulty or fakes.

ducatiman@btconnect.com

"Dear sir/madam,

To search all selling item,please go to http://www.bidbid618.com (BidBid618 Online Store) we understand that you are interested in doing wholesale business with us and we are also eager to do business with you. However, to better serve our existing wholesale as well as retail customers we must be selective with how much time we spend on new customers. So we can only spend time with those new customers who are serious, in order for you to show us you are serious, please purchase the item or items you are interested in from our EBay store. Once you have shown us that you a serious buyer, then we can discuss wholesale prices. Sorry for any inconvenience this may cause you or your business but we are so busy that we have! ! no other choice."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yahoo! 工具列 - 內置防止彈出視窗工能!