222 rifle ammo cost

No i was quoting .222 .

Reloading is cheaper and i have been very pleased with the results so far

CCI Benchrest primers

AA2230 and Hogdon 4198 powders

50g Hornady bt and 50g Speer TNT

The above cost about 24p per round for components only,so i'm happy with .222 ammo at HMR prices.

Yes reloading is cheaper but how much ammunition do you actually get through? Go out foxing and how many rounds do you fire? three maybe if you are lucky?

Plus you have to buy a press, dies, scales, powder, primers, bullets, a trimmer and so on.

Do it by all means if you enjoy it but don't kid yourself you are saving money. You can buy PP ammo for £39.60 a hundred.

Yes reloading is cheaper but how much ammunition do you actually get through? Go out foxing and how many rounds do you fire? three maybe if you are lucky?

Plus you have to buy a press, dies, scales, powder, primers, bullets, a trimmer and so on.

Do it by all means if you enjoy it but don't kid yourself you are saving money. You can buy PP ammo for £39.60 a hundred.

Kid yourself ? If your shooting 20 shots a month (some people probally shoot ALOT more) thats about £240 a year on ammo.

You could get yourself a reloading kit for £91.50, I just google'd it.

Not all ammo is that cheap aswell, a good foxing round in 243 calibre can be as much as £34 :o . With the reloading kit you can make your money back in saving's EASILY in less than 1 year, now if you go on to shoot for like 20 years (Once yoyr hooked your hooked :P ) then there's alot of saving to be done :good:

Also homeloads will be MUCH more accurate than cheap ammo you buy in bulk. If your not going to reload then fair enough but your hardly sticking your head in the sand and ignoring the costs :good:

Totally agree Bigthug87,i use mine a lot and in the spring/summer, more for those long range bunnies and that gets through the rounds - 630 rounds last year - thats £300 in factory ammo.

On an average foxing night i use 4 or 5 rounds - once a week - thats £130 a year in factory ammo

You can get PPU at £39 a hundred,but they shoot 2" at 100 yards and OK that won't make much difference,but 50g Hornady and CCI benchrest primer with 20gr of H4198 will put them in an 1" at 150 yards and cost less.

A Lee challenger kit is about £120 with the dies from Henry Kranks.

And theres something very satisfying about loading your own.

Bigthug87

I reload over 1000 rounds a year and have done for more than 20 years. I also know that the savings on paper don't match the reality of actual loading. Sure you can get a press for about £90 but then you need scales £80, a powder trickler £12, a trimmer and so on.

Yes you can make good quality ammo but its not guaranteed, you can also make ****. You have to take in all the ammo you use up testing loads etc.

Its good fun and I enjoy it BUT if you are doing it purely to save money you will be dissapointed.

Also, I can't speak for .222 but that PP .223 ammo from Henry Krank shoots great at 200 yds. Got a 10 shot 3" group about a month back in terrible weather.