22-250

gwionhermon

Hi everyone. For two years now i have owned a tikka t3 lite with synthetic stock and stainless barrel in 22-250. At the moment ive got a bushnell 4-12x40 on it. I really like this scope but i find that it doesnt have the zoom power for the power of the gun. I am thinking of getting a Nikko Stirling Platinum Nighteater 6-24 x 56 30mm because i do most of my shooting at night. Can anyone give there opinion on this scope as i do not know enough about these?? Thanks

A larger lens will gather more light, but the quality of the lens and the 'exit pupil' are more important than lens size. I use a 6-24x56 Zeiss on my .22-250, which is faultless for shooting in low light, but I rarely use it above 9x magnification. The full 24x can really only be used during the day, unless you have ideal kit and lamping conditions.

I've never seen any glass yet, through which you could definitely identify a fox at 400yds at night, unless it was lit up by stadium floodlights. All sounds a bit risky to me. Perhaps you should look into top of the range night vision, but with that you only have 6x mag, unless you get an add on. Either way you are pretty much limited to 300yds. for positive id.

Andy

have a look through a schmidt and berner or zeiss 8x56

If funds don't allow Labrador's suggestions, you will still get very good performance from a 7x50 (Meopta) for sub-£200, or even a 6x42 Zeiss/S&B for c£250. I would much rather be limited by a lower magnification, than by the clarity of the lens. Just bear in mind that in Germany, you can legally shoot at night, but the use of lamps is prohibited. That's why German (and Austrian/Czech) glass leads in low-light conditions by a country mile. There are plenty of places to buy such scopes second-hand.